Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2018, 06:35 AM

Default Drill rifle source

Hello all, I have a question that may be common knowledge to this forum. What is the source, or sources, of the 1903 and 1903A3 drill rifles that show up from time to time at Sarco and Dupage? Do they buy them in lots from the government or the CMP? If from the CMP, why arenít they offered on their sales site? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

As far as Dupage, it has been rumored that their source is CMP and were part of swap for new Dupage/Boyd stocks. I assume that they aren't listed by CMP because of limited amounts and condition of drill rifles are on the lower end and not worth the hassle. They do on occasion pop up in the stores.
No clue where Sarco gets theirs from....
Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 AM

CMP did offer barrelled receivers from 1903 and 03A3 Drill rifles a few years back. All came with a bolt and extractor which could not be removed due to the cut off being welded in the "down" position. Some also had trigger assemblies and others had bolt assemblies (with ground down strikers). These sold for about $35 (plus shipping) each.

I assume that most other drill rifle parts were used by CMP to recondition operable rifles.

Last edited by navyrifleman; 10-08-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 AM

The CMP had a "Scrap" auction about 7 years ago. They sold drill rifles, Garand stock, and bayonets by the carton. I think there were 50 stocks per carton, 100 03 and A3 drill rifles by the lot. The scabbards and bayonets were is various size lots.

Unfortunately, the CMP will no longer do this. When Mr Michaels was in charge he state this. There were all kinds of issues from the auction software ending the auction a day early. Also there were complaints that individuals could not afford to purchase the large lots and they only wanted one or two. So any future scrap auctions were nixed.
Dupage and some other companies bought a large portion of the lots. I was fortunate to be able to buy 2 cartons of the Garand stocks. And no, not all of the stocks were good, hence a scrap auction. But there were some very good ones.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:14 PM

Thank you for the responses. Maybe the CMP will reconsider after all of the 1911 excitement and fervor dies down and boredom sets in, lol. I’d like to find a 1903 drill to use as my Winter project.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaTango View Post
Thank you for the responses. Maybe the CMP will reconsider after all of the 1911 excitement and fervor dies down and boredom sets in, lol. Iíd like to find a 1903 drill to use as my Winter project.
Have you contacted Dupage? Sometimes Jim has things that aren't listed,if you ask.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:24 PM

I called last week, talked with a real nice lady, but she said that they “don’t have anything available ay this time.”
Old 10-08-2018, 06:12 PM

CMP sold a bunch of drill scrap in Spring. I saw the crates and the contents. Not sure who they went to but they left the warehouse.