Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2018, 01:39 PM

Default Would like some CMP 1903-03A3 sales history

I have not followed CMP sales of these so am wondering if anybody has kept a record of the groups of '03s offered by the CMP as to where they may have come from, the dates they were available, and variations of contents?
Example: Greek returns---20??--large number of 03A3 shooters or VFW rebuilds--199?--all 1903 w/pitted barrels.
Reason for asking; lets say I am looking to purchase a good shooter 1903A3 with a C stock--I think it would be of benefit to know what groups contained some of this particular configuration vs those that were exclusively standard 1903 models, it would save a lot of time knowing where to concentrate search efforts. Does this make sense and can somebody supply info, or is there a better approach? Also, what might the current value range be for a rebarrelled great shooting 03A3? Experts please chime in!
Old 10-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Having worked at the CMP for almost 20 years, I have notes regarding where some of the rifles came from. That information, however, will not assist you in a search for some rifle type you may seek.

Rifles received at the CMP are thoroughly mixed with regard to type. The CMP Greek rifles, for example, contained virtually every type of M1903 and M'03-A3 rifle imaginable. And this same is true for rifles received from other sources at the CMP.

I will point out, however, that rifles received from a particular VFW or American Legion post will generally be of a particular type, e.g., all Remington M'03-A3's, or all M1917 rifles, or all M1903 rifles. But the quantities received from each post are relatively small and the rifles are sorted by type and stacked in pallets.

A good overhauled and re-barreled M'03-A3 shooter should sell in the $800-$1000 range.

Good Luck!

J.B.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:48 PM

If you think all rifles in some group (VFW?) have pitted barrels you may not benefit from such a list.
As J.B says, $800-1000 will land a nice collectible shooter. But paying that, or more is no more a guarantee than if confirming "It's a Greek, or VFW return".

It's always in the details, pictures and 1st hand examination are really the key; no way around it.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 10-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Info greatly appreciated gents.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:53 PM

A good way to find out if a 03 is original or rebuilt or a recovered drill rifle is when you find one you are interested in, post pictures and the serial number here. It is easier to concentrate on a single rifle than a large group.
I for one keep several lists of the serial numbers and taus of the rifles.