X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TMueller
    • Aug 2012

CCI 400 small rifle primer

Any issues with CCI 400 in an AR for being too soft ? Or are the 450 better or no difference

Thanks
  • luigi
    • Mar 2011

Used them for years in M4 carbine and Mini-14 w/ no problems.......oh and m1 carbine also
    Last edited by luigi; 04-20-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Skeet6
      GSM Master Instructor
      • Oct 2009

They're all I've ever shot over the past 10 years in the lil' gun in competition except during the 'Great Shortage' LOL.
      Mike B
      CMP GSM Master Instructor
      NRA Range Safety Officer
      Still searching for WRA 1614856.

Comment

• grumpa72
        • Apr 2010

No issues at all.

Comment

• TMueller
          • Aug 2012

thanks

thanks for the replies

Comment

• bigedp51
            • Jan 2012

It is recommended to use primers in the AR15 with a cup thickness of .025.

The CCI 400 primer cup is .020 in thickness and the same thickness as their pistol primers. Meaning more chance of a slam fire or a punctured primer with its thinner cup.

CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRIMER - A PRIMER ON PRIMERS
            http://www.sksboards.com/smf/?topic=56422.0

According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size. Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness. Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound. They can be used interchangeably.

Comment

• Scott in Michigan
              • Oct 2009

I've always used the 450's in all my .223 reloading because I use mostly ball powders. The compound is the same as the CCI-41's, but the CCI-450 primer is more sensitive.

Comment

• lapriester
                • Oct 2009

I use them and have loaded and fired more than 20K rounds using CCI400's. Never a single issue. I do use 450's but only for certain powders, for certain loads, in certain caliber AR's that were more accurate using them when I did load/accuracy testing. As an example, with my 6.8 SPC, 277 Wolverine, 6.5X6.8, using AA2200 powder, my groups shrank by half using the same powder charges compared to when using 400's.

All my utility and varmint 223 loads using H4895, Varget, IMR4895 are loaded with 400's.

Comment

• Dusty31
                  • Dec 2015

I've shot thousands of rounds with 400's, but none were anywhere near max.
                  My buyer/seller Feedback here: https://forums.thecmp.org/forum/marketplace/buyer-seller-feedback-forum/185985-dusty-31-feedback

Comment

• lapriester
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Dusty31 View Post
                    I've shot thousands of rounds with 400's, but none were anywhere near max.
                    That wouldn't matter anyway. I've seen plenty of flattened primers and ejector swipes on hundreds of test loads that were a bit too hot. Still no issues. I'm of the firm belief that slam fires are 99.9% the fault of the person reloading, improper case prep, insufficient rifle maintenance or defective, worn or damaged parts.

Hey, if it turns a person on to pay more for mil spec primers, go for it. It means the marketers at CCI did their job and will get a bigger bonus.

Comment

• nf1e
                      • Apr 2012

Rgr on that one. ^^^^^^^
                      Operator error is the main cause of most everything.
                      Semper Fi
                      Art
                      Sgt USMC 66 -72
                      RVN 67-68

Comment

Working...
                      X