Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2015, 11:26 PM

Default Ready for a dumb question?

I'm an old guy, a returning rifle shooter (M-14, smallbore rifle, and silhouette rifle) and trying to decide where to re-enter to chase impossible leg points -- rifle or pistol. I've been shooting an indoor pistol league for several years and kind of like it.

Here's the dumb question: can I fit my Cold Series 70 Combat Commander with a 5" Kart match barrel and slide, and change the mainspring to flat and put a spur hammer on it, change the springs. In other words, can I make it legal for CMP matches? I already have an old Colt wad gun and a Ruger. I would switch the hardball slide on the wad gun, but for some reason, other slides won't fit on it's frame (I think somebody peened it pretty thick.....). Thanks for your patience.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:07 PM

I am not extremely familiar with the Colt Commanders. But, if it is a true commander style, I know the slides have different geometries in the breech area so I don't think a government slide will work. May I ask how your wad gun is set up? They relaxed a lot of the hardball rules last year and many of the external features, such as the spur hammer, are no longer required.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBore870 View Post
I am not extremely familiar with the Colt Commanders. But, if it is a true commander style, I know the slides have different geometries in the breech area so I don't think a government slide will work. May I ask how your wad gun is set up? They relaxed a lot of the hardball rules last year and many of the external features, such as the spur hammer, are no longer required.

It's set up as a true wadcutter....with a rail for optics sights. I thought about putting a "hardball slide" on this, but I tried a Marvel conversion on it, and it won't go on.... the rails on the frame are too thick, too tight..... I guess I could trade the Commander towards a Springfield Range Officer, but I kinda hate to do that.... had it for awhile.... Or, maybe I'll take it to a good smith, take off the optic and rail, have adjustable sights put on, stiffen up the springs, and shoot all the matches hardball style.....

Last edited by Cousin Jack; 10-25-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:48 PM

That's a nice looking wad gun. The Ruger you mentioned, is it a government size 1911?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBore870 View Post
That's a nice looking wad gun. The Ruger you mentioned, is it a government size 1911?

The Ruger? It's a 22/45......

And here's my Colt Combat Commander....which now has an adjustable sight on the back...... if it could bench at 50 yards, would this be allowable in EIC matches?

Last edited by Cousin Jack; 10-26-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
I'm an old guy, a returning rifle shooter (M-14, smallbore rifle, and silhouette rifle) and trying to decide where to re-enter to chase impossible leg points -- rifle or pistol. I've been shooting an indoor pistol league for several years and kind of like it.

Here's the dumb question: can I fit my Cold Series 70 Combat Commander with a 5" Kart match barrel and slide, and change the mainspring to flat and put a spur hammer on it, change the springs. In other words, can I make it legal for CMP matches? I already have an old Colt wad gun and a Ruger. I would switch the hardball slide on the wad gun, but for some reason, other slides won't fit on it's frame (I think somebody peened it pretty thick.....). Thanks for your patience.
As someone mentioned in an earlier post, the receiver on a Commander is slightly different than a regular Govt Model, so changing the slide may not work. You need to check with a gunsmith on that.

With the current changes, a Commander style hammer is now legal, along with just about everything else.

Save yourself some time and trouble and just buy a Springfield Range Officer. Out of the box, it will do the job. Just be sure you buy it in .45 ACP and not 9mm.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
As someone mentioned in an earlier post, the receiver on a Commander is slightly different than a regular Govt Model, so changing the slide may not work. You need to check with a gunsmith on that.

With the current changes, a Commander style hammer is now legal, along with just about everything else.

Save yourself some time and trouble and just buy a Springfield Range Officer. Out of the box, it will do the job. Just be sure you buy it in .45 ACP and not 9mm.
Roger that, will comply.......
Old 11-05-2015, 05:24 AM

Default Commander frame

The Colt Commander frame is shorter than the Gov't frame, so it will have a gap
between the front of the frame and back of a Gov't slide. This will expose the recoil spring and can lead to functioning problems. I have seen this happen in 35 years of gunsmithing.
Also, the gap will likely DQ it under CMP rules.