Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2017, 03:52 PM

Default Snipers At Your Regular Monthly Vintage Rifle Match?

There just aren't many opportunities to shoot your vintage sniper rifle competitively. Camp Butner in the East and wherever it is in the West once per year for Regionals and then once per year at Camp Perry.
Really, due to cost, mostly, I just shoot local monthly Vintage rifle/ CMP matches, anyway.
I have two clubs within driving distance and just talked to the match director for one of them about getting some trigger time with my 03A4gery during his monthly GSVR (good 200 yard walk-down range), shooting the regular prone slow, prone rapid, and offhand same as everyone else, just not in competition with the other folks shooting their iron sighted vintage rifles. I do want to shoot rapid, single loading 5 rounds singal loading after or before the first mag loaded 5 rounds. I also want to try the standing string with the sniper. He's good to go with us (two so far) doing that and thinks bring out our snipers may encourage others to build one for themselves. He's also asking us to think of other courses of fire that could be shot at his range. He has out to 300 yards. First thought is to shoot reduced targets and use the same time limits as the regular sniper match.

If anyone else is shooting something similar at local matches and using your Vintage sniper rifles please give me some details.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 PM

Default HCGC Vintage Sniper Match

We shoot one every month. We shoot steel but practice all the same.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 PM

Monthly steel matches with the vintage snipers sounds great. At what distances are the steel and how large are they? Do you have unlimited time per shot or limit it to the times of a CMP vintage sniper match?
Any trigger time with the vintage snipers is good. I hope to stir up more interest here and get enough involved to justify having monthly local vintage sniper matches.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 AM

Default HCGC Vintage Sniper Match

Our matches are a lot like our tactical rifle matches. At the Club range we shoot to 707 yards at targets that go from a 8" square up to a full IDPA. We shoot different scenarios each time. We also have a 1400 yards range that we we shoot. We have some video on YouTube.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:07 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Not sure where you are located at Vintage, but if you are on the West Coast you can shoot at 600 yards every month at Camp Pendleton, if interested reply.

EIC total points:
(4) SAFS Camp Perry 2014
(12) Western Pac/Flt All Navy Matches 2016