Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in SC View Post
I think he means buy a rifle with USGI M14 parts. Some time around 90K+ SAI ran out of GI parts and started using various investment and MIM parts. Many people, including myself, would rather have a rifle with USGI parts.
They pop up every once in a while, but you're gonna pay. You can buy a later one and replace the MIM with USGI as you find parts. I've put a lot of rounds through my late M1A SOCOM, haven't had a hiccup yet, and I haven't replaced a thing, except for the stock
Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 AM

Thanks for all the replies and information. The topic of GI vs commercial was/is my concern here so I appreciate all the input. Another shop has a "mostly" GI SAI M1A for close to 1800.00. It looks like a real GI rifle with a used GI stock etc. It sits next to another later model SAI "all commercial?" they want 1400.00 or so for. That was why I was wondering if I should not just get the silly thing or put it in layaway actually if they will let me for that price and then later trade up if I can find a "GI" parts gun. However I am beginning to think especially here that the chances of a cheaper in price rifle with some or more GI parts is not going to happen and the 1800.00 is now the norm. Another shop has one for more than that and as best I can tell it is simply a commercial parts rifle with no extras.
I remember a Smith Enterprises? with half a dozen magazines for 550.00 but I was 16 and obviously not able to buy.
Again as always thanks for the input and information.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:43 AM

Care to elaborate?
Weil.... I got in hot water for posting my O-Pine on newer SAInc rifles from some ....SO I won't go there...I will say if you read up on the history of SAInc receivers there were several Manufactures of them..... All well made with the last manufacture I consider doing quality work around SN 100k. 14 or less years ago SAInc was the biggest owner of M14 GI parts that were used in their builds...Mil spec forged parts. Their QA at the time was quite good with few rifles having issues out of the Box. I bought a NIB SOCOM in 2009...and well ill stop there ...MIM parts and poor tolerances are a bad combo.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:35 PM

The 60k serial range was the "golden era". After that, sai slowly used less usgi parts until most ran out.Not that you won't find usgi parts on a say, early 100k m1a, just not as likely.

But SAI has very good customer service. Any sai m1a they sold to you, no matter if you're first owner or 5th owner, is covered by their lifetime warranty. Anything broken or having issue, give them a call, and they'll take care of you. It's kinda comforting. If price is no issue, i would definitely get a m1a with more usgi parts, but if you just want a m1a, doesn't matter about usgi parts or authenticity, a standard m1a could be had for about 1100.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:20 PM

Thumbs up In my experience................

My first M14 was an SAInc. 1990. An elderly gentleman had it in his collection and due to his wifes health condition was selling some firearms. This rifle was "as new" having shot it less than 100 rounds and had lived in his safe since buying it new. The man wanted $1700 but I opened my wallet and showed him my 15 Benjamins and said" It's literally all I have". He was nice enough to let me have it for that and that was in 2004. I took it home and stripped it down and logged in all the parts. After research on my own I determined that I had a real prize, ALL USGI parts rifle assembled at the SAI factory ! The parts were all TRW except the hammer which was SA. I hit the jackpot on that deal ! It was an iron sight tack driver ! I won many matches with it. I did add some Sadlak springs, op spring guide and piston and NM front and rear sights along with the tools they make.

Being addicted I bought another SAInc. a year later mfg. 1996, standard USGI chromelined barrel and all USGI parts except a plastic pseudo USGI black krinkle stock. This one for $1350, another private sale.

My most recent is a 2002 SAInc. with a 1962 SA chromelined barrel and some of the trigger group was USGI. It came with an oversized walnut stock in perfect condition. I have since traded and bought all USGI SA parts for it and a VN era walnut stock. It came with 4 LMT mags, scope and a few other goodies that I sold to get the USGI parts. It was a private sale at $1500.00 but all said after selling the other stuff it cost me about $1200.

There are deals out there but the key is to have the cash ready when you see them. Unfortunately I missed many deals many times as I didn't have the dough to spare when they hit.

My advice is to keep your eyes open and if you can, pickup a nice rifle when you see one. Check it out to be sure it's OK but don't sit on your hands as they go fast !

JOKER
Old 03-04-2017, 05:36 PM

The M14 Forum has some good classified ads
http://m14forum.com/px/

Last edited by A Seabee; 03-05-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Here is another thread you should read called, "how not to get ripped off when buying an M1A".

http://m14forum.com/#/topics/291122?page=1&_k=gldzia
Old 03-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Seabee View Post
They pop up every once in a while, but you're gonna pay. You can buy a later one and replace the MIM with USGI as you find parts. I've put a lot of rounds through my late M1A SOCOM, haven't had a hiccup yet, and I haven't replaced a thing, except for the stock
Keep your eyes on Gunbroker, they are out there. I somehow miracled into an unfired 80,xxx SAI M1A on GB about a year ago. The only thing that was not USGI was the trigger housing and the receiver! I paid $1,200 for it. Its so pretty I don't even want to shoot it.