Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2017, 03:57 PM

Default Looking for Garand load recommendations for this bullet.

Lyman 49th has loads for 130 gr. Jacketed SP for 30-06. I just want to make sure I've got something safe for my Garand.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:58 PM

Any 125-grain data with Garand-safe powders will work.
ACEP-certified coach
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 03-13-2017, 05:57 AM

Make sure you use "Garand" Data..Don't know if Lyman has a Garand section or just a .30-06 section..Hornady does..Don't know how New to reloading you are. If it were me I would start in the 45gr range and work up to no higher than 50gr In the IMR 4064, Varget, H4895 Burn rate powders..

CMP Match Chairman

NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman

Indoor Small Bore Rifle Chairman

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 03-13-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Banned

no bullet heavier than 180 and no powder slower than IMR4320..

Buy a Hornady load manual, it has M-1 specific data.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:38 AM

The Lyman manual has one paragraph (in the 30-06 section) dedicated to M1 loading. It is all you need to know. Unfortunately, they also continue to remind loaders to reduce charges for mil brass and avoid round nose bullets--misinformation dating back to the 50s that survives today. Lyman manuals....still the best, IMO. Good Shooting. ...
Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 AM

Thanks guys.
I missed the Garand Paragraph in Lyman, and I didn't even look in Hornady because it's so Hornady specific, some times I can't find what I'm looking for. I will take a closer look this evening when I get home. I have plenty of IMR 4895. I think I'll just stay with that unless Hornady has better ideas.
Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgt. Hulka View Post
Thanks guys.
I missed the Garand Paragraph in Lyman, and I didn't even look in Hornady because it's so Hornady specific, some times I can't find what I'm looking for. I will take a closer look this evening when I get home. I have plenty of IMR 4895. I think I'll just stay with that unless Hornady has better ideas.
Thanks again.
Just like most Manufacturer data manuals they are bullet specific which is meaningless if you are loading the same weight bullet. You do have to be careful about the different ogive shapes of bullets you can load long though. Lightweight shorter bullets are generally not a problem except you need to load them deep enough to retain neck tension. The biggest problem with the M1 specific Hornady data is a lack of data for lighter bullets. I think GarandGrabber has it pretty close. 45-50gr of IMR 4895, H4895, Varget or IMR 4064 will find you a sweet spot somewhere in there. Typical 125gr 30-06 data listed in most data books even in the above powders is WAY too high for M1 loading. They are talking 50-57gr of most of the above. A reduction of 10-12% would probably be a safe place to begin for M1 data.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Just like most Manufacturer data manuals they are bullet specific which is meaningless if you are loading the same weight bullet. You do have to be careful about the different ogive shapes of bullets you can load long though. Lightweight shorter bullets are generally not a problem except you need to load them deep enough to retain neck tension. The biggest problem with the M1 specific Hornady data is a lack of data for lighter bullets. I think GarandGrabber has it pretty close. 45-50gr of IMR 4895, H4895, Varget or IMR 4064 will find you a sweet spot somewhere in there. Typical 125gr 30-06 data listed in most data books even in the above powders is WAY too high for M1 loading. They are talking 50-57gr of most of the above. A reduction of 10-12% would probably be a safe place to begin for M1 data.

Quote:
Just like most Manufacturer data manuals they are bullet specific which is meaningless if you are loading the same weight bullet.
opinion... I load surplus bullet and they shoot the same.

Quote:
Lightweight shorter bullets are generally not a problem except you need to load them deep enough to retain neck tension
opinion...surplus M2 isn't seated the whole length of the neck.

I'll go along with Lyman info...

Last edited by milsurpriflenut; 03-14-2017 at 07:39 AM.