Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Another case of incorrect nomenclature. "Reaming" a primer pocket is removing the military crimp, it is not unitizing the pocket. Reaming it should not change the depth unless the person doing it Gorilla's the work so much he bottoms out the tool and keeps on turning. "Unitizing" a primer pocket unitizes or equalizes the pocket depth to assure proper and equal seating depth. A pocket unitizing tool is generally preset at the factory and will not deepen the pocket more than it should. They also do not have teeth on the side of the cutter to damage the shape of the pocket though carelessness can accomplish most anything I've found.
Larry, if you are going to get that anal, please get your nomenclature correct. Gas systems are "unitized". Pockets are "Uniformed".
Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
Larry, if you are going to get that anal, please get your nomenclature correct. Gas systems are "unitized". Pockets are "Uniformed".
And do not forget that a colonoscopy in Italian is called a innuendo.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Oops, you are correct. My bad. I should know better than to take a pain pill and then write about technical matters....or any matters, LOL. Thanks for the correction. I was unitizing/uniforming/utilizing/reaming/cleaning primer pockets myself last night in fact. But no flash hole deburring for me.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
But no flash hole deburring for me.
That just makes the colonoscopy hurt more
Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 PM

Red face

Quote:
That just makes the colonoscopy hurt more
Thanks for reminding me I am due for one soon and been told to schedule it. Such fun.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:05 PM

This is one reason I never buy "processed brass". You never know if it was properly done, and I just like to do it myself anyway so I know the real condition of any brass I buy.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:00 AM

Boy all of this gives me a headache.

In general terms, what adverse effect does a flash hole have on the accuracy of that particular round, and will it affect impact so much that you notice it?

I'm not being facetious here, but this level of brass prep lives and breaths long range same-hole accuracy off a bench. Hardly gonna matter for most plinkers and Garand slow-fire shooters.

Maybe I can and should consider my brass-prep as sub-par, but I've only ever had one round FTF because I set a primer too deep in a case causing a light strike.