Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 PM

Default RM1FieldGrade Range Report!

After a thorough clean and lube, I finally took my first M1 Garand out to the range, and I'm happy to report that I had an absolute blast!

Initially had a few problems with clips not locking in, but eventually things started to lock and load. Ammo used was Prvi Partizan M1 Garand Ammo PP347. I took her out at 25 yards to see where she would hit, starting with 8 clicks up from the bottom. She hit about 1" - 1.5" below my POA, and after adding 4 more clicks she was dead-on. No adjustment to windage necessary.
Here's a short video of the whole process: https://youtu.be/lNzFXpGCoZM

I then took her out to the 100 Yard Steel Target, and without adjusting elevation from 25 yards, she hit about approximately 2"- 3" above my POA center of the steel target. I'm very happy with the group size and the performance with no failure to feed or to eject. Only issue was my 2/5/8 round clips not locking in all the time. Any possible solutions for clips not locking? Anyways, I'm very thankful to CMP for my wonderful M1. I feel very fortunate to experience this piece of history in my hands, and also my (now) sore shoulder .. LOL Thank you!
Here's a quick video hitting the steel: https://youtu.be/p_fceHFp8xU

Rang the steel so hard, she broke the target!

j/k, Target was already broken when I got there! LOL

Last edited by HangInThereCat; 03-20-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 AM

looks good.......got my first Garand back in late November......have yet to take it out due to winter......just got 2 feet of snow in upstate NY where I am......
Old 03-21-2017, 04:38 AM

Great post. You seem to know what your doing. Locking the clips in does take a little oomph sometimes, but if it's really an issue, the "timing" could be off some. Some one can explain all that.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:59 AM

3 inch high at 100 is about 0 at 200 yds. Good deal.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:00 PM

That steel is pretty pitted up. Hopefully you don't get some bullets flying back at you.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Do your clips have a "heavy" parkerization? I always run new ones in that condition through a tumbler with lizard litter until nice and smooth.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 03-21-2017, 04:12 PM

I recognize that range -- SRGC!

I was there before opening on Sunday but they said they were closed until noon, so I left (did not want to wait around 3 hours). Perhaps one day I will see you around with my Garands!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 PM

Congrats and nice shooting!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:09 AM

@bandhunter31 - Thanks! Lucky to be in a state where the weather is generally nice all year round, just unlucky to be in a state that is run by id10ts. LOL.

@jerryjeff - Thanks! I'll look into timing issues. Hopefully I will be able to sort it out!

@howardhuge - Yup figure it would hit high at 100 yards, when zero'd at 25.

@extractr - I think it would not reach back from 100 yards, but you never know!

@gunny - I'm not sure, but will try to see if smoothing them out may help with the issue.

@jtake - Yep SRGC! My favorite range. I was there Sunday about 1pm, usually they open 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month at 10am. Was there a reason they opened at noon instead that day? It sure has been crowded lately, especially since Chabot closed!

@Deucer01 - Thanks!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM

I usually try to arrive 46-60 minutes before they open because they have been so busy. A few weeks ago, I arrived at opening and waited 2 hours for a rifle lane! One of the reasons I try to arrive early.

Last Sunday, I think they were having a work party, so they delayed opening the rifle and pistol ranges until noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangInThereCat View Post

@jtake - Yep SRGC! My favorite range. I was there Sunday about 1pm, usually they open 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month at 10am. Was there a reason they opened at noon instead that day? It sure has been crowded lately, especially since Chabot closed!

Tags
field grade, first shots, range report, rm1fieldgrade