Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 PM

canes7, ceresco & Rootsy - Thank you, that's the info I was looking for. I wanted to start my hunt for leg points with the SAFS at Butner on 5/2.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM

Lots of luck to you. It's a fun venture.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
Lots of luck to you. It's a fun venture.

Thank you! Looking forward to it
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Banned

Default Camp Perry SAFS-Rifle

Grey, I attended the SAFS-Rifle at Camp Perry this past summer, 2013. It was a lot of fun and I am very glad I did it. If I had to do it all over again, I would have attended the Perry SAFS-Rifle first thing I did when I got involved with rifles.

Currently, there are three SAFS-Rifle schools taught yearly. That I am aware of. The original and the one mandated by federal law is held every summer at Camp Perry, Ohio. That SAFS-Rifle is run and taught by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit Service Rifle Team, with administrative support and coaching support from the CMP. But the USAMU runs that. It is two days long. You get a certificate and a cool looking EIC pin at the end, even if you dont make EIC points.

The other two are new and are currently being held at the beginning of the CMP Games East and West. One at Camp Butner, NC and the other at the Arizona location. Those two SAFS-Rifle schools are one day long and taught by the CMP, not the USAMU.

All are good, but IMO, if you can attend the original Camp Perry SAFS-Rifle, you should make the effort at least once. There are also REALLY good deals for National Match rifles and HP accessories at vendors row at Camp Perry, while you are there for SAFS-Rifle.

Eric
Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedTerrain40 View Post
Grey, I attended the SAFS-Rifle at Camp Perry this past summer, 2013. It was a lot of fun and I am very glad I did it. If I had to do it all over again, I would have attended the Perry SAFS-Rifle first thing I did when I got involved with rifles.

Currently, there are three SAFS-Rifle schools taught yearly. That I am aware of. The original and the one mandated by federal law is held every summer at Camp Perry, Ohio. That SAFS-Rifle is run and taught by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit Service Rifle Team, with administrative support and coaching support from the CMP. But the USAMU runs that. It is two days long. You get a certificate and a cool looking EIC pin at the end, even if you dont make EIC points.

The other two are new and are currently being held at the beginning of the CMP Games East and West. One at Camp Butner, NC and the other at the Arizona location. Those two SAFS-Rifle schools are one day long and taught by the CMP, not the USAMU.

All are good, but IMO, if you can attend the original Camp Perry SAFS-Rifle, you should make the effort at least once. There are also REALLY good deals for National Match rifles and HP accessories at vendors row at Camp Perry, while you are there for SAFS-Rifle.

Eric
Thanks Eric! Some friends and I are talking about the July SAFS at Perry and chances are that will be the one I'm going to attend after all.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Banned

If you can swing it, I'd go to the one at Perry. Its "the original" SAFS-Rifle with the full Camp Perry experience. I want to go to the one at Camp Butner now that Ive gone to the one at Camp Perry.

Also, Im not sure about this. But since the big CMP shooting range in Anniston, AL will probably be operational for summer 2015 or 2016, there is the chance SAFS-Rifle will not be held at Perry for very many more years. It might end up being transferred to the CMP range in Anniston, once that place is going full tilt. Thus if you miss SAFS-Rifle at Perry, you will be missing part of high power history.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyTuono View Post
Thanks Eric! Some friends and I are talking about the July SAFS at Perry and chances are that will be the one I'm going to attend after all.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Well, a little over a year after posting this topic I finally made it to pistol SAFS. The one on one instruction was very helpful and the match was well organized. I ended up picking up my first 4 Leg points too!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is Garand View Post
Well, a little over a year after posting this topic I finally made it to pistol SAFS. The one on one instruction was very helpful and the match was well organized. I ended up picking up my first 4 Leg points too!
Congratulations! I hope to accomplish that next week *Fingers and toes crossed*
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old 07-15-2014, 06:33 PM

I know this is a old thread, can someone explain. the eic, sasf, dr badge stuff, leg points, what that means to a new shooter, or hope to be shooter!! Might be a good thread to start to explain, some of these acronyms!!

Thank-you, in advance!!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 PM

EIC = Excellence in Competition , SAFS = Small Arms Firing School, DR = Distinguised Rifleman (what you earn when earning 30 Leg points), leg points = points awarded to a shooter who places in the top 10% of non distinguished shooters at an EIC match.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO