Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2014, 11:45 AM

Default SAFS M9 "Intro" EIC Match at Perry

Planning ahead for next summer, along with a winter practice. Seems like most of the top scorers at the SAFS M9 match shoot with a two hand hold. Does one hand benefit you in the match at all? For example does a tie go to the shooter using a one hand stance? All other EIC matches are shot one handed, correct?
Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 PM

All other pistol EIC matches are one-handed. No, they don't take in to account whether or not you shot one-handed or two-handed for the SAFS EIC match.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Does one hand benefit you in the match at all?

Depends whether you plan to shoot anything other than the SAFS EIC match. One handed would make winning the SAFS EIC match harder but the practice would be more relevant.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 10-10-2014, 07:52 PM

For the SAFS EIC I'd definitely shoot two-handed, because 25 yard slow fire or not these are rack grade guns and you'll need every advantage you can get.

For practice, by all means do some one-handed shooting. You'll learn a lot more about trigger control than you would with any type of shooting, period.

Either way, it's always a good idea to dry fire A LOT.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:10 PM

Default M9 matches

It may be time to retire these rack grade M9 pistols for something better as was done with the rifles.The move to the Rock River rifles was a big plus because it was luck of the draw on how well you could score.
Maybe with the donation from Glock it is heading in that direction.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:29 PM

I did fairly well in the M9 match shooting one handed (90-1 / 71-0 / 44-0 / Total 205-1).

I had only been doing the bullseye practice for about a month or two before this, so I wanted to get some "trial by fire" shooting one handed against people.

I am debating earning some points next year shooting it two handed, since I've been getting better in practice (shot a 220 NMC for the first time this week), but I also wonder if it's worth it. It's not like it allows you to leg out, by the time you start earning enough to leg out, you probably don't need those four points anyway.

Any Distinguished shooters out there that can chime in? (Did you need your SAFS points?)

Thanks,
Carlos

Last edited by GPtuners; 11-06-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPtuners View Post
I did fairly well in the M9 match shooting one handed (90-1 / 71-0 / 44-0 / Total 205-1).

I had only been doing the bullseye practice for about a month or two before this, so I wanted to get some "trial by fire" shooting one handed against people.

I am debating earning some points next year shooting it two handed, since I've been getting better in practice (shot a 220 NMC for the first time this week), but I also wonder if it's worth it. It's not like it allows you to leg out, by the time you start earning enough to leg out, you probably don't need those four points anyway.

Any Distinguished shooters out there that can chime in? (Did you need your SAFS points?)

Thanks,
Carlos
Not sure I understand: SAFS is 4 points and doesn't count toward your five matches, so it's worthwhile. The problem is that Nationals is pretty late in the season so there's a good chance you could get points before SAFS, making you ineligible.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
Not sure I understand: SAFS is 4 points and doesn't count toward your five matches, so it's worthwhile. The problem is that Nationals is pretty late in the season so there's a good chance you could get points before SAFS, making you ineligible.
I'm not sure either.

I guess what I was trying to say is that since you have to get a 8 or 10 point leg to go distinguished, you can't really do it without being pretty freaking good already. By the time you end up with a 8 or 10 point leg, chances are you won't need those four points anymore.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 11-06-2015, 05:07 PM

Ah, okay! Then sure, but the points are cumulative and some folks still have to travel far and wide for leg matches with enough non-Distinguished shooters to dispense ANY points. So say you're a great Bullseye shooter and you get a 10-pointer, another 10-pointer, and an 8-pointer. That 4-point SAFS leg is the difference between being Distinguished (at 32 points) and having to drive 300 miles to pick up the last 2 points you need.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:00 PM

Always go for the "EASY 4"before moving on,whether it be rifle or pistol.