Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 PM

Default CMP Service Pistol

I am a new CMP Service Pistol Shooter. I own 3 pistols at present - a CZ 75B in 9 mm, a Ruger P345 in 45 ACP and a Gunsite Colt Pistol GSP 1911 in 45 ACP. I plan on attending the Pistol SAFS this summer. Is it only at Camp Perry or will there also be Pistol SAFS at the CMP Games Matches? Do most of the top competitors shoot Beretta M9's and if so which model do they shoot? Who is the gunsmith that one would use to accurize a Beretta M9 to make it as good as it can be within the CMP rules?

Sorry for all of the new shooter questions.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:55 PM

I could be way off, but I believe Pistol SAFS is only at the National Matches and they provide rack grade M9s.

An M1911 hasn't beaten an M9 at the highest levels in a while, but that's only because the M9 shoots 9mm 115GR ball better than the 1911 shoots 45 cal. 230GR ball. The recent "any jacketed ammo" rule change was specifically designed to make the 1911 competitive again.

If I were starting out, I would not bother with an M9. I'd probably get a Springfield Range Officer, Ransom Rest it with 185GR Zero/Nosler JHPs, and if it didn't group 9-ring, I'd replace the barrel and bushing with a Kart EZ Fit set.

Does your CZ 75 have an adjustable rear sight? If so, I'd say that's probably good enough.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1 Garand Man View Post
I am a new CMP Service Pistol Shooter. I own 3 pistols at present - a CZ 75B in 9 mm, a Ruger P345 in 45 ACP and a Gunsite Colt Pistol GSP 1911 in 45 ACP. I plan on attending the Pistol SAFS this summer. Is it only at Camp Perry or will there also be Pistol SAFS at the CMP Games Matches? Do most of the top competitors shoot Beretta M9's and if so which model do they shoot? Who is the gunsmith that one would use to accurize a Beretta M9 to make it as good as it can be within the CMP rules?

Sorry for all of the new shooter questions.
Your Colt GSP will work for the EIC match, but you will probably need to replace the rear sight with a Bo-Mar type sight since you'll need some sight adjustment between the 25 and 50 yard line. If you replace the rear sight, you will probably need to replace the front sight with something taller.

The first two will work, but their sights are somewhat lacking and I think you'll find the double action trigger a detriment during the timed and rapid fire stages because of the length of travel. A single action trigger like in the 1911 is more the norm in Bullseye shooting.

Getting an M9 accurized for the EIC match is expensive. There are gunsmiths out there that can do it, but they probably have a backlog.

bpm32 is correct about the bullet change making the 1911 more competitive with the M9. I would expect to see guys shooting 185 JHP's rather than the 230 grain FMJ.

The Range Officer is a great choice. I just picked one up for a wadcutter gun and out of the box, the accuracy is more than acceptable. I just had to do a trigger job (after I put around 300 rounds through it), lighten the mainspring and peen the rails slightly. The barrel/bushing fit was perfect and I did not need to mess with it. With the ultradot on it, I shot a 98-5x slow fire indoors at 25 yards at one of our last league matches. It should work really well as a hardball gun and they can still be had in the $750 range if you check around. I got mine through Bud's Guns online.

I found this guy on the internet, who works on M9's. http://www.mountaincompetitionpistol...ationalMatchM9 I have to disagree with his statement that the bushing on a 1911 needs to be replaced after 5,000 rounds. I have well over 5,000 rounds through my hardball gun and it still shoots better than I can hold it. And if you check the price on his accurized gun, you can buy several Range Officers for what he charges for an M9.

Here's the link for a Range Officer at Buds Guns just to show you the current price: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...%5C%22+Package

Last edited by CDRT; 01-22-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM

I should also add, that the few times I have seen someone shoot a M9 in a EIC match, they have not done any better than the shooters with a 1911.

I guess my point is, shoot whatever you feel comfortable with, but make sure you practice, practice, since that 50 yard slow fire can be a mind killer.

The black (8, 9, 10, x ring) on a 50 yard bullseye target is just under 8 inches across and the 9 ring is 5 1/2 inches across. You need something that is going keep them in the black at both the 50 and 25 yard line.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:48 PM

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm in roughly the same shape as the OP. I'd like to start shooting service EIC matches. I already have a RO, except it is set up for USPSA shooting, with a mag well installed, VZ grips, and a Dawson FO front sight. No mods to the guts yet.

I'm thinking I will get a 1911 smith to remove the mag well, fit a Kart match barrel, work the trigger to 4 lbs, and change out the front sight post. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action?

if so:
(1) what front sight is preferred in bullseye shooting?
(2) can I keep my bada$$ VZ grips (because I like them)
(3) will it be legal for both service EIC and NRA bullseye?

Thanks,
Old 01-23-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm in roughly the same shape as the OP. I'd like to start shooting service EIC matches. I already have a RO, except it is set up for USPSA shooting, with a mag well installed, VZ grips, and a Dawson FO front sight. No mods to the guts yet.

I'm thinking I will get a 1911 smith to remove the mag well, fit a Kart match barrel, work the trigger to 4 lbs, and change out the front sight post. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action?

if so:
(1) what front sight is preferred in bullseye shooting?
(2) can I keep my bada$$ VZ grips (because I like them)
(3) will it be legal for both service EIC and NRA bullseye?

Thanks,
(1) For sights, I'd say:

http://stores.kensight.com/bomar-bmc...-square-blade/

and

http://stores.kensight.com/standard-...ade-flat-base/

or an any event, Bo-Mar type sights. Kensight is the closest to Bo-Mar (the owners passed away in a car accident, so those sights aren't made anymore).

(2) Yes, so long as they aren't metal, which they aren't

(3) Sure, Bullseye (I guess we're calling it "Precision Pistol" now) is pretty forgiving for mods. You could even have an extra sear spring to lighten the trigger to 3.5 lbs if you were inclined.

Do you really think you need a match barrel? Some of the Springfield barrels don't shoot too bad. I Ransom Rested a couple and they held the black at 50 yards. Neither, however, were 3" guns at 50 yards, like some guys claim. The ROs are good value, though.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:40 PM

Thanks. I think the standard rear sight on the RO is fine. But my front sight has got to go, as the rules specifically state no FO sights. Speaking of which, I think my particular VZ grips won't work either, as the rules say grips must be "symmetrical" with "no thumb rest" and be "functionally identical for right or left-hand use." My VZs have the thumb indentation on one side, so I don't think they are compliant. But I believe others without the thumb indentation would be.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
Thanks. I think the standard rear sight on the RO is fine. But my front sight has got to go, as the rules specifically state no FO sights. Speaking of which, I think my particular VZ grips won't work either, as the rules say grips must be "symmetrical" with "no thumb rest" and be "functionally identical for right or left-hand use." My VZs have the thumb indentation on one side, so I don't think they are compliant. But I believe others without the thumb indentation would be.
You can save those grips for Bullseye, then, because even these are legal for that!:

http://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpPfCnt.php?sCI=116
Old 01-23-2015, 08:11 PM

Default new pistol shooter

I,m new to this game also.purchased a springfield mil spec to use,and a ruger MKII Gov't model.
looking for a local club NW PA that shoots CMP pistol or Bullseye matches,and somebody to coach a new guy.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBGood View Post
I,m new to this game also.purchased a springfield mil spec to use,and a ruger MKII Gov't model.
looking for a local club NW PA that shoots CMP pistol or Bullseye matches,and somebody to coach a new guy.
You might check with this rep for the PRPA:
http://www.pennarifleandpistol.org/i...rthwest-region
How far are you from Camp Perry?

Last edited by CDRT; 01-23-2015 at 09:45 PM.