Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 PM

good idea as i am a member.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:46 AM

Everyone - Thanks for the helpful input! I am finding that the only real way to learn about pistol competition is through forums such as this. The CMP and NRA websites are not very helpful to new shooters like me. In my case, it is really hard to find information.

I have a few follow-up questions so please bear with me as I may embarrass myself here by asking some dumb questions:

1.) I read the CMP rules over the last few days regarding service pistol. It does not appear that the Range Officer is listed as an acceptable pistol? I may be missing something here. Does it need mods out of the box to shoot in CMP Service pistol events? CDRT, I read some of your older posts on this topic and it looks like there may be some mods required? Is there a good gunsmith I could send a RO to to have these done?

2.) I went to a local GS to handle a Range Officer. I was told that production of these pistols is moving from overseas to the US and 45 ACP models are not available yet. I know they are available on-line?

3.) When you guys mention "hardball" or "wadcutter" what does this mean?

4.) My CZ 75B has a fixed rear sight to answer a question. Can guns with fixed rear sights have an adjustable rear sight added without butchering up the gun? Is this a gunsmith job or can a regular guy do this?

5.) Lastly, I obviously am just starting out so obviously I am not going to win but just want to learn. I see that the Ruger P345 is listed as an acceptable gun for service pistol and many website reviews have commented that this gun is very reliable quite accurate for the price. It does have a fixed rear sight so that may be an issue. My beginning mind says that as a starting pistol to get my feet wet I could use it for USPSA single stack, CMP Service Pistol and other events. I could also use it as a carry pistol. Comments for a beginner?

Thanks for reading my long reply and to all of you for your experienced guidance.

Dave
Old 01-25-2015, 01:10 PM

I am a novice as you, but I can answer a couple of your questions:

1. The Springfield Range Officer is fine out of the box as per the new rules of January 2015. It is not specifically listed in Rule 6.3.4, but you will notice that no 1911s from any manufacturer are listed in that rule (I don't think). This is because 1911s are covered by Rule 6.3.3, and the mods on a stock RO are covered by Rules 6.3.1 and 6.3.2.

2. I don't know where ROs are, or have been, manufactured, but .45s have been out there since 2010. They are everywhere.

3. Hardball ammunition has a full metal jacket around a core. It is usually rounded. "Wadcutter" bullets look like 55 gallon drums (flat on top), and are designed to cut a clean hole in a target. Guns can be tuned for either or both.

Best I can do. Good luck getting started.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:13 PM

M1 Garand Man, to answer your questions:
1) My earlier posts were done before the new rules and the RO did require some mods. The new rules eliminated doing that. The RO is ready out of the box for CMP EIC matches, as well as NRA matches (which is was always legal for).
2) Not sure where they are making the RO but Bud's Gun Shop online has them for a great price. That's where I bought mine last year.
3) loosecannon answered this one. Wadcutter loads are usually a reduced load compared to FMJ hardball loads, usually around 750 fps rather than 820 fps for hardball and they use lead bullets (primarily) rather than jacketed. "Softball" refers to a FMJ bullet loaded at a lower fps, primarily for the 25 yard line.
4) Yes, it can be done but have a gunsmith do it who has a sight pusher to push the old sight out and the new one in. It usually required some machining to open up the slot for the new sight. There are Bo-Mar dovetail cut dimensions and Kovac sight cut dimensions and they are different.
5) The .45 ACP round with just about any bullet will drop about 5 clicks (on a Bo-Mar sight) from the 25 yard zero to the 50 yard line, so sight adjustment is important. If your gun is sighted in at 25 yards to hit in the x-ring with a six o'clock hold with fixed sights, you would just need to aim center hold at 50 yards to be back in the x-ring. A little simplistic but I know guys who do not like to change their sights and that's how they do it. If it is windy, you will need some windage adjustment as well.
Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:57 PM

CDRT and Loosecannon,

Thank you for your follow-up. I purchased a Springfield Range Officer in 45 ACP last evening. I am also going to spend some time on the Bullseye website that as recommended. I hope I am not wearing my welcome out but I will ask a few more questions:

1.) For the 45 ACP which basic (lower cost) ammo (and or reload as a I reload) do you recommend for me to practice with? I plan to dry fire practice a lot as well as shoot a lot so I need something for shooting practice that is not top end expensive. To get going I would probably plan on purchasing 1,000 or 2,000 rounds of bulk CCI Blazer or Privi Partizan for practice if not knowing any better.

2.) What should I use for competition ammo?

3.) Is it OK to dry fire practice with this pistol. Do I need to purchase a fake rubberized practice round to prevent firing pin damage with the range officer?

4.) Where is the best place to purchase some spare magazines for the Range Officer and how many would you recommend?

5.) Any ideas on Holster's for this pistol for USPSA shooting?

I am anxious to get out shooting with my new pistol this weekend. My pistol is still in Pistol Prison until tomorrow evening.

Again Thank You,

Dave
Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 PM

OK I'll try it again:

1. I reload also, so I worked up a 230gr load for mine and went to work on the 550b.

2. But that was for USPSA and steel. For bullseye I will probably try to work up a 185 load, as that is apparently "the great equalizer" in the new rules.

3. Yes, the general consensus is that it is OK to dry fire a 1911. What you don't want to do if you can avoid it is letting the slide fall closed on an empty chamber.

4. I have Wilson 47Ds with a bumper from Midway that I got for USPSA. I will have to check the rules to see if they will work for EIC or not.

5. I have a Blade Tech. Remember that USPSA single stack does not allow drop and offset like production (for male shooters).

Disclaimer: I think I'm right, but don't make purchases or travel long distances without checking me on everything.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 PM

Don't worry about asking questions...we're always glad to help.

1. I reload all my ammo. For a practice load, I use 4.0 grains of Bullseye and a 230 grain lead round bullet. You might find that a little light to work the slide on your RO since it comes with a 16 or so pound recoil spring. Changing to a lighter spring would fix that if need be. For matches, when I was chasing leg points, I would shoot 4.5 grains of Bullseye with the 230 grain FMJ bullet. Buying some bulk ammo would give you some brass to reload. You might check your local WalMart and see if they have any Winchester bulk in the white box; good ammo and good brass to reload. If you reload you might want to try the Nosler 185 grain jacketed hollow point since it is legal now for the EIC match. I may pick some up to try, but I have about 1,000 230 FMJ's to go through first.

2. The Winchester white box is good ammo to use in competition, if you can find it. Otherwise, you could work up a load for the 230 or 185 jacketed bullet. As long as you're in the 800 fps range, they will work.

3. I'm told it's okay to dry fire, but I don't like to without doing something to soften the hammer strike. Rather than buying one of those snap caps, you can just put a buffer over the firing
pin. I use a piece of a folded up matchbook cover to soften the blow from the hammer.

4. I checked the rule book and it appears any kind of mag is okay. It used to be that they could not have any kind of pad on the bottom. You should have two that came with the pistol, right? Any after market will work. I'm partial to GI mags if you can find them.

5. Can't help with holsters...I've been stuck in the Bullseye world for a long time and we don't use them.

Last edited by CDRT; 01-27-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
You might check with this rep for the PRPA:
http://www.pennarifleandpistol.org/i...rthwest-region
How far are you from Camp Perry?
CDRT,i am 4 hours,250 miles from Camp Perry.
Just shot my 1st indoor 50ft Bullseye with 22 Ruger.Targets looked like they were shot with a Mossberg.Shot 2 matches no target was scored less than 50 and one 82.I'm happy with that.25&50 yards will be another matter.Back muscles are sore.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBGood View Post
CDRT,i am 4 hours,250 miles from Camp Perry.
Just shot my 1st indoor 50ft Bullseye with 22 Ruger.Targets looked like they were shot with a Mossberg.Shot 2 matches no target was scored less than 50 and one 82.I'm happy with that.25&50 yards will be another matter.Back muscles are sore.
Be sure and wear shoes that give good support, that aren't too springy.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:04 PM

unless theres been a change in the CMP rules, arent 1911/1911A1 and the M9 or equivalent (NOT a Taurus) the only guns allowed in PISTOL E-I-C matches?

specifically rule 6.4 (2007, the first rule book i came across)...

if youre talking about NRA pistol matches then yeah, i think you can shoot anything thats safe...