Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2015, 02:21 PM

Default Garand EIC

In the "Games" rulebook in Table 6 in section 5.5, it shows an "as-issued Garand EIC match" in one of the notes. I can't find any other mention of a Garand EIC match in either rule book. Anybody know what this is referring to? With Service Rifle allowing optics, an iron sight EIC alternative might be popular. Make it as issued and it could be huge.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:40 PM

Garand EIC's used to be held at the CMP travel games. It was a way to get 4 points towards your DR badge. This event has been replaced with the M16 SAFS at the travel games.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 11-30-2015, 11:42 PM

With the success of Garand matches, I wonder if the CMP could be persuaded or encouraged to add it to the itinerary again. That would be a fun match.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 AM

The Garand matches were already sucessful when they ended the M1EIC matches in favor of the M16EIC. The M16 match is more in line with current trends and the marksmanship schools CMP is pushing, but the old M1EIC was a very popular staple at the travel games and probably drew larger numbers. This resulted in an odd situation. With essentally the same shooters attending the games every year; after a few years of the top 10% being skimmed off, the standard required to receive the introductory points was degraded. Since the M16 intro match is part of the school, it tends to draw more new participants....fwiw... Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 12-01-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:05 PM

Ceresco that's certainly understandable logic at least in removing them from regular travel games schedules. I still would love to see one somewhere though. Perhaps not even strictly an introductory 4 point match. An annual (perhaps at Perry) as-issued Garand only, full XTC, leg match. I think it would draw enough of a crowd to be worthwhile. Maybe that's just me
Old 12-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
Ceresco that's certainly understandable logic at least in removing them from regular travel games schedules. I still would love to see one somewhere though. Perhaps not even strictly an introductory 4 point match. An annual (perhaps at Perry) as-issued Garand only, full XTC, leg match. I think it would draw enough of a crowd to be worthwhile. Maybe that's just me
It might be possible at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park.It would not take all day to do it,with time leftover for another match using a Springfield.
This could be worthy of more consideration.
Remember this range was bought and paid for with sales of these rifles.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:19 PM

The M1 EIC match course of fire was 40 rnds (GSV + sitting), all fired at 200yds, IIRC. Since there is currently a Garand match, I doubt you will see a M1EIC again. Good Shooting. ...
Old 12-01-2015, 07:53 PM

I like the idea of a full course GSM EIC. Why leave out the Springfield's, and 1917's ? I think they did say that the Perry schedule had some time to fill. It would be a step into deeper water for the JCG only shooter. I would eliminate the civilian hard leg though since none of the military teams would go back to M1's, and it should be a Camp Perry only affair. Great idea.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 AM

It may be fun to do a pure "as-issued" full course match. Try to get those shooters that like to shoot their M1's @ 200 to see all the rest of the real estate a rifle range has to offer.

I put this out there a few years ago and got almost zero response but isn't there a standard course of fire that a soldier would fire to qualify with their M1's back in the day that included different positions and distances? For those guys who love history and traditions they might find it appealing.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:42 AM

Any cross the course match is far more time consuming and difficult to conduct than the single distance matches. CMP doesn't add matches very often and I suspect there is little chance of this happening. The unique system at Talladega may offer some possibilitits. IIRC, it is still possible to use a M1 in NRA High power and some of the CMP full course matches. The M1 EIC wIll remain a fond memory.. Good Shooting. ...