Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2015, 08:48 AM

A full course as-issued M1 match would be a lot of fun. I wouldnt do it on E-targets, if you valued your sensors.

I'll stick with a McCoy M1 for 600.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:16 PM

I'd love to have an as-issued Garand match. Just shoot them across the NM course. Leg points with a Garand are feasible as long as everyone is shooting one, still a level playing field to test skill, more level than with be seen this year in Service Rifle at Perry. But they'll have to remove the cut scores!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrigged View Post
I'd love to have an as-issued Garand match. Just shoot them across the NM course. Leg points with a Garand are feasible as long as everyone is shooting one, still a level playing field to test skill, more level than with be seen this year in Service Rifle at Perry. But they'll have to remove the cut scores!
Actually, yes. There's no reason LEG points couldn't or shouldn't apply to an XTC Garand only match. It'll go to the .308 bedded Garands, but so be it. I think it'd be great.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Any cross the course match is far more time consuming and difficult to conduct than the single distance matches. CMP doesn't add matches very often and I suspect there is little chance of this happening. The unique system at Talladega may offer some possibilitits. IIRC, it is still possible to use a M1 in NRA High power and some of the CMP full course matches. The M1 EIC wIll remain a fond memory.. Good Shooting. ...
I think you are right. It would be a total blast, to do a Garand only full XtC match. I wouldn't even try to make it JCG GI issue only though. Let it be a classic 1960's style National Match competition, old guns only, but whatever you want to do to make them shoot.

As you say, the only venue that could realistically host such a match in without displacing something else, is probably Taledega. You can squeeze a full XTC competition like this into half a day, or less, there. That could be a real draw to that facility actually. And that afternoon, they could host a Garand only 3-gun. I'm not joking on that - you haven't experienced a Garand in ALL its glory, until you run it in a 3-gun, because it was designed for doing that too.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:21 PM

I say it could be an as-issued match. There are more as-issued guns out there than the NM prepped ones. And my 1st ever try at XTC with a Garand was with a decent Service Grade, shot a 428 with 175 SMKs.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
With the success of Garand matches, I wonder if the CMP could be persuaded or encouraged to add it to the itinerary again. That would be a fun match.
To fill this purpose, they made the games matches. Many, myself included, would be strongly opposed to handing out leg points for Garand only matches with the score limit removed. One can certainly shoot an accurized Garand in a leg match under today's rules.

The sport has taken enough of a beating lately.

Last edited by WindLogik; 04-18-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
One can certainly shoot an accurized Garand in a leg match under today's rules.
Proof enough when the M1 can make the P100 after all these years.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:48 PM

Windlogic, why oppose leg points in a Garand only match? If all guns are more or less equal, then it a test of shooter's skill, which is what Distinguished is, right? Remember the IROC races? Field of drivers given equal tuned Camaros so it was a test of driving skill. Let a bunch of us shoot Garands against Garands, see who comes out on top.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrigged View Post
Windlogic, why oppose leg points in a Garand only match? If all guns are more or less equal, then it a test of shooter's skill, which is what Distinguished is, right? Remember the IROC races? Field of drivers given equal tuned Camaros so it was a test of driving skill. Let a bunch of us shoot Garands against Garands, see who comes out on top.
I don't agree simply because as-issued Garands are way, way less accurate than a typical match AR. So, what would happen, is it would be a games match where one or two folks would have capable rifles (IROC-NOT). If those folks had a good day, points. Otherwise, roll the dice to hand out the points. As issued Garands are 1 to 3 minute rifles. No match at all. At 600 with good bullets, it's hard to keep an as issued Garand in the 180s. For most, it will be in the 160s or worse. The scores are just too low for it to be a real match.

When they used to shoot 14s and Garands for points, they were heavily modified so that they were capable. If you want to do this, you still can. Go to a leg match and shoot a 14 or Garand.

If you want to shoot a bunch of bullets out of an as-issued Garand to get a medal, you can do that too at a games match. They give out T-shirts too, it's tons of fun.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:25 PM

Jerryrigged. Would you happen to be jerry hixenbaugh? The guy who came in 139th in the p100 with a garand??