Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2016, 10:33 PM

Default Big thanks to cmp south

Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone from the store staff to the Armory for helping me with a problem on my very first M1. I was firing my Garand and the front sight actually flew off. When I went to put it back on, I noticed that there was a cut in the gas tube right below the base of the front sight. It would not go back on properly as now it was canted and would not tighten down. I was in Birmingham last weekend for the gun show and drove out to the South store on the off chance I might be able to drop it off. I gave it to the store staff who were great in helping me since I had never done this before. I called mid week and spoke to the Armory who said they had already replaced the gas tube and it was back with Shipping. Guess what?! Got it today by FedEx.
GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE and experience. Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Just for future info, the cut in the gas cylinder was an approved modification, done to allow the use of some undersized barrels rather than scrapping them in wartime. The front sight acted as a C-clamp when tightened, securing the cylinder on the barrel. Still lots of them around. Sounds like yours may have been overtightened at some point.