Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default Springfield Armory Unveils Significant Contribution at 2016 National Trophy Pistol Matches

Springfield Armory Unveils Significant Contribution at 2016 National Trophy Pistol Matches

For over 35 years, Springfield Armory has been a key figure at the National Matches at Camp Perry – providing countless numbers of donations to commendable competitors, year after year. But this year, at the 2016 National Trophy Pistol Matches, the company will be outdoing themselves with their most incredible donation yet. Springfield Armory will potentially donate up to 20 new Springfield XD(M)® 5.25” pistols during the President’s Pistol Match on July 17, to competitors who place in the Top 100 (President’s 100) and fire the 20 highest scores using a Springfield XD® or XD(M)® during the match. Competitors MUST have competed with a Springfield XD® or XD(M)® in order to receive an XD(M) 5.25”.

http://thecmp.org/springfield-armory...istol-matches/
Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 PM

If you want your product to be legal for a CMP match, just write them a check or offer to sponsor, apparently.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post
If you want your product to be legal for a CMP match, just write them a check or offer to sponsor, apparently.
While Springfield Armory supports the shooting sports, it would have made more sense if they had donated some Range Officers in .45 ACP for those shooting the match with that pistol.

Last edited by CDRT; 07-12-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:57 AM

Well....I for one appreciate what Springfield Armory has done to support the shooting sports. A number of shooters I know have taken home SA firearms from competitions and I once won $200. Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-12-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
While Springfield Armory supports the shooting sports, it would have made more sense if they had donated some Range Officers in .45 ACP for those shooting the match with that pistol.
The folks in charge of offering that pistol likely don't even know the differences between bullseye shooting and something like practical pistol. The RO is a great CMP gun, and I agree with what you're saying.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisxllx View Post
Advertising bull, much like the M1A Match. At least in this match, not everyone has to shoot a specific Springfield Armory product. You just have to shoot one to be eligible to win one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
The folks in charge of offering that pistol likely don't even know the differences between bullseye shooting and something like practical pistol. The RO is a great CMP gun, and I agree with what you're saying.
Not quite right, either of you.

Springfield is at Nationals and very aware of what Bullseye is. They have a team and doing very well, and have a great setup on vendors row and has armory support for their shooters. Colt, S&W, Ruger, are all absent. I would contend of the major companies, they're more knowledgable than the rest and offer fine pistols through their custom shop. Remember, Les Baer was the prior manager before Dave took over.

I've shot at Interservice Championship several times and I am at Perry now. The only thing an XD(M) 5.25 in 9mm needs, which is what the AMU uses for Bianchi, is a springer precision trigger, KKM barrel and if you have an older version, the roll pin replaced, and a new front sight. Much less work than many entry level 1911s. Will it outperform a Pardini GT, accurized 1911, etc, no, but it's good enough to make the P100 and post Expert scores easily, and a great starter/loaner pistol for EIC.

Some of the AMU shooters will have them at the P100; because, they are comfortable and confident in them after using them over the year that they're competitive for Bullseye. I've sat down with the head pistol gunsmith at the USAMU and it's a very good pistol and inexpensive for the level of performance.

No doubt Springfield is marketing a pistol, which probably has higher profit margins than a 1911, but it delivers and fundamentally what they're doing is good for the community. The USAMU tested various action pistols and found the XD(M) the most accurate. In process, they've determined that it approaches the M9 in performance, but at a fraction of the cost/effort to get there. It's also important to note that that stock barrel can be welded up and gets very close to the KKM performance. If I recall correctly, Kart is making the current run of AMU barrels.

Here's a slow fire target from one of my friends on the AMU, fired with an XD(M) 5.25 in 9mm. Almost a clean.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 07-15-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
The M1A match has a "lottery" attached, that doesn't even include who shot best with "their" rifle. Every fifth (I think) score wins a prize. Geez.
So you are upset that you don't get a prize just for attending? The reason I encourage my children to participate in marksmanship is to avoid that mindset in the first place.

Quote:
Still, it IS a promotion for a Springfield pistol, NOT a general promotion for precicision pistol Marksmanship.
On this, I agree, and if your read my post above, this is no doubt marketing, but shockingly, that's how companies improve business. General marksmanship would be preferred, but it's their prize and they can do as they see fit. They're under no obligation to provide a firearm. Where are Pardini, Feinwerkbau, Les Baer, Accuracy-X, Rock River, in prizes? Absent. So, again, happy they're doing something. Glock is doing the same at Perry, but nobody in their right mind would use one.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 07-17-2016 at 12:53 PM.