Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 PM

Navy- the point about the lottery aspect of the M1A Match is near what you are saying about a participation trophy. The best scores don't win. Instead of the top 10, 20, or whatever, winning a prize, every fifth (whatever) score gets a prize. That is a lottery to my mind.

[email protected]
Old 07-17-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisxllx View Post
Still, it IS a promotion for a Springfield pistol, NOT a general promotion for precicision pistol Marksmanship.
Springfied is awarding 1911s to the top competitors in addition to those who made the P100 with the XD(M)s for the NRA Aggregate.

This will be based on performance not attendance.
You are still wrong.

Very Generous.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 07-22-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:46 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Navy- the point about the lottery aspect of the M1A Match is near what you are saying about a participation trophy. The best scores don't win. Instead of the top 10, 20, or whatever, winning a prize, every fifth (whatever) score gets a prize. That is a lottery to my mind.
I wonder what the beef is with a "lottery" where they give out awesome prizes? The "lottery" part is done on competitor numbers, though there are more prizes given out after the match. I won an XD-45 some years ago, and I won it before the match was even over, based on my NRA competitor number on the tag I was wearing on my hat.

Also, I asked Mike at SAI last year if it were true that you needed to shoot an "M1A" (Springfield Armory product) to be eligible for prizes and/or match win, he said no, any make as long as the configuration was a standard or NM format.
Mike B
PS: Have you ever shot in either match?
Old 07-17-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet6 View Post
I wonder what the beef is with a "lottery" where they give out awesome prizes? The "lottery" part is done on competitor numbers, though there are more prizes given out after the match. I won an XD-45 some years ago, and I won it before the match was even over, based on my NRA competitor number on the tag I was wearing on my hat.

Also, I asked Mike at SAI last year if it were true that you needed to shoot an "M1A" (Springfield Armory product) to be eligible for prizes and/or match win, he said no, any make as long as the configuration was a standard or NM format.
Mike B
PS: Have you ever shot in either match?
Sounds similar to the random gun prizes awarded at GSSF (Glock) matches all over the country. I say it's a great thing, especially for some participants who may never place at the top to receive a performance award. I was happy to be picked for a random Glock pistol prize at my 3rd or 4th match with them. The higher # of match competitors, the more pistols Glock randomly awards during a match, as well as $50 checks and other "lottery prizes". And it's a smart way to build match participation/excitement, and brand loyalty. Takes nothing away from the top guns of the match, they'll still get their plaque and satisfaction of being the best that day.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 07-17-2016, 06:30 PM

yea it really sucks when your shooting a fun match and some A-hole comes up and gives a gun cuz they drew your number. I prefer the other games matches where even if i win i wont be burdened with another firearm
Old 07-20-2016, 01:24 PM

The lottery part of the M1A match is the Lewis Class Awards system. Nothing to do with competitor numbers. In this system, it is possible that if you placed one place higher, you would get nothing. Take a look at the Match Program.

I've shot at Camp Perry about 14 years. NRA high power rifle, DCM National Trophy Rifle Matches and the CMP National Trophy Rifle Matches. The first time was 1983 and the last time was in 2009, I think. I did not shoot the M1A match. If I did, with my opinions, I'd be a hypocrite.

[email protected]
Old 07-22-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Well....I for one appreciate what Springfield Armory has done to support the shooting sports. A number of shooters I know have taken home SA firearms from competitions and I once won $200. Good Shooting. ...
Ditto.

I also know a guy that won a M1A the first time he shot the M1A Match. $1700 rifle, free. Guess he'll always shoot that Match from now on.

At least the M1A Match is an opportunity to compete with a NM M1A while at Perry.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
The lottery part of the M1A match is the Lewis Class Awards system. Nothing to do with competitor numbers. In this system, it is possible that if you placed one place higher, you would get nothing. Take a look at the Match Program.

I've shot at Camp Perry about 14 years. NRA high power rifle, DCM National Trophy Rifle Matches and the CMP National Trophy Rifle Matches. The first time was 1983 and the last time was in 2009, I think. I did not shoot the M1A match. If I did, with my opinions, I'd be a hypocrite.
wow nope your wrong. there is a random lottery as well they hand out prizes on the line while the match i going on. Let the answers up to the people who actually attend the match
Old 07-22-2016, 02:58 PM

Whatever it takes too boost attendance, I say do it!
Old 07-22-2016, 11:33 PM

Default Lewis awards

So, there are no Lewis class awards? It's right there in the program. Did I read that wrong?

Maybe I'm wrong for calling the Lewis class a lottery. From the beginning, that's the way I called it. You could win $200 if you placed one place lower, or higher. You don't have an input. There is a "class" set up by dividing the number of competitors by a number decided by Springfield. This year, I think it will be 25. If you win it is not based on shooting better, only luck. To my mind, that is a lottery. Luck based, not skill. Shoot better, win more, is the way I was taught. Not, shoot a score and trust to luck. If the luck aspect really gets more people into the sport, then I guess that's OK. However, how many people, do you think, go to Camp Perry just to shoot the M1A Match with the hopes to win a Lewis class award?

If they had (have) a separate competitor number lottery, I haven't seen it in the rules or match program.

Like I said before, because I don't agree with the rules, there is no way I could shoot that Match and not be a hypocrite. So I haven't. Is there anyone out there who thinks I have to shoot that match to have an opinion?

[email protected]

Last edited by Louisxllx; 07-23-2016 at 12:01 AM. Reason: More info.