Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2016, 10:57 PM

Default Henry Lever Action vs. Ruger 10/22 for Rimfire Sporter

Hoping to have a Father/Son Western Games experience and need some advice/opinions:

What does everyone think about lever action usage in a CMP rimfire sporter match? I've never shot (or even seen) a rimfire sporter match but I am hoping to take my son to the Western Games this year and shoot the match there.

He and I have matching Henry adult & youth model lever action .22's and I wanted to double check that they are legal for that match. Also in the rulebook it says during the rapid fire portions there is a reload requirement. What does everyone think of that? I would imagine it would be cumbersome with a tube magazine...

My son and I also have 10/22's but he likes to fire too rapidly with it and I think the forced slower rate of fire of the lever gun makes him more accurate. However if the 10/22 is a better platform I'd love to hear about why.

Thanks all!

Last edited by chopperjock22; 06-29-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:37 AM

I think most match directors are of the opinion "shoot what you got" I would not recommend a lever action rifle over a 10/22. I'm not saying that it can't be done but it would be quite a challenge and you want him to have fun and not be frustrated. RFS is all about consistency in the way you hold your rifle, shooting position and shooting cadence. A lever action would require too much movement and could throw off your consistency. That's just my opinion from shooting lever actions vs. a bolt or semi auto.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 AM

My son, my daughter, and I have shot many Rimfire Sporter Matches at Camp Perry and have shot a variety of rifles including semi-autos and bolt action rifles. This match is absolutely designed to "shoot what you got" allowing additional firing time for manually operated rifles (like the lever action) and the reloads are NOT timed. If you look through the results from previous years you will see the variety of platforms used. The Rimfire Sporter guide is very comprehensive, explains everything, and is worth the read. The Rimfire Sporter is a great time and I try not to miss them.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:06 AM

Do it! The 10-22 is a great rifle. Use it. The Henry LA is a tremendous rifle. Use it! The "how" is easy w/ the 10-22... just swap magazines. For the Henry, fire nine rounds. Then, load a single round and finish up. No different than when one shoots 2/8 in a M-1 Garand. If required to do 5/5, then shoot the first five and reload using a simple tube feeder. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:43 AM

There are breaks in the "rapid fire" phases for loading the 2nd five rounds, so no problem using a lever action. You will probably not use a sling for support with a Henry....and you probably will not win the match either. The 10-22 is not without it's limitations (reliability being one) but it is a better choice if you are going for the win. Good Shooting. ..
Old 06-29-2016, 03:40 PM

Sounds like the 10/22 is going to be the better choice. Thanks for the responses!

So next question: sling or no sling? I use a sling in prone for the M1, but never tried it with a 22.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:34 PM

Sling is allowed in Prone and Sitting and probably should be used. Will probably affect point of impact so practice using it. At Camp Perry there is a clinic the evening before the match which is very helpful for new shooters and new competitors not sure about the Western games.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperjock22 View Post
Sounds like the 10/22 is going to be the better choice. Thanks for the responses!

So next question: sling or no sling? I use a sling in prone for the M1, but never tried it with a 22.
Buy the 10/22 and then add a M1 Carbine style stock. Then they are very similar in handling. Mine has a 3X9-50 scope on top.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:19 PM

Buy a Hogue "overmolded" stock for the 10-22 and a set of 1 & 1/4" QD sling swivels for your 1907 sling. My 10-22 shoots into a nickel @50yds. Good Shooting. ...
Old 06-30-2016, 07:27 PM

The answer is, of course, the Marlin Model 60, lol.