Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2016, 11:11 AM

I have shot a Winchester 9422 for the last 6 years at the CMP RFS match and have had a great time doing so. Am thinking strongly about shooting a Henry this year!! As has been said "shoot what you have" !! It's a fun time, make the best of it!!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:19 PM

Good times! M1 Carbine stock for the 10/22 sounds cool!

Anyone shot the Rimfire Sporter Match at the Western Games? Is it held under the covered range?
Old 07-03-2016, 07:59 PM

Yes---under cover, except for the 25 yard phase. Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-04-2016, 01:02 PM

I got a Marlin 795 as a less expensive alternative to the Ruger 10/22 for shooting in Appleseed courses. I replaced the somewhat flexi synthetic stock with wood so I can use a tight sling without affecting the point of impact and added a scope. With most Standard Velocity .22 ammo I've tried, it will shoot Rifleman-size groups consistently, if the shooter does their part. It was $99 on sale at Walmart when I originally got it, though I think they're going for about $160 now.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:44 PM

What about a Rem 597?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Going with the 10/22 since I already own it, but thanks for all the alternate suggestions! Looking forward to seeing how it goes!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 AM

I've been running a RS match for 2 years now, this is what I have seen.

10/22 is easy to modify, mags can be a pain unless you have the extended release. Mags also need some polishing since they tend to jam (don't know what manufacturer is better). Trigger groups are available in a variety of manufacturers. Has a single action screw, so proper torque is important.

Remington 597, limited modifications. mags are cheap and require some polishing. REMOVE the last round bolt open device, it causes the rifle to jam. The trigger group sucks, add a Valquartzen hammer and extractor. Then you have a 2# trigger and need to modify the trigger spring (PITA). Replace all the pins in the group with 1/8 drill bits, because the factory ones are MIM parts and they break. Make sure the barrel clamp screw is snung. After this it's a very accurate and reliable rifle.

Savage MK II FVT,(Bolt Gun) replace the rear sight with a Lymann and tighten all mounts. Adjust trigger. Buy extra mags. Trim the barrel channel where there is contact. That's it, shoot (Wilson rear sight will not repeat). Very accurate rifle.

Savage 64F, (Semi-auto) Does not have the accu trigger, bought the Mcarbo spring kit and replacement trigger to get it smooth and to get it down to 3.5#. Mags are fairly heavy and sharp, it will shave bullets while topping off rounds. Accurate, still working with this one but shows a lot of promise.

Henry Lever, Don't try a sling, tube guns don't like sling pressure. Unless you know where POI is going to be in every position. Great rifle, accurate and smooth to cycle. But the trigger is too light (1.75-2#) and I am not about to spend money to have that trigger worked on. Time is allowed for reloading tube guns.

Romanian m69 trainer, Accurate, But triggers are sloppy and bolt handle is short for rapid fire. It doesn't have a scope rail, it's a tooling rail for manufacturing. Either drill and tap or modify scope rings to work (not recommended). The iron sights are excellent, has 25, 50 and 100? Can't remember.

Any CZ, pretty much scope or irons. Load and shoot. Hard to beat them.

AR7, Just had a guy use one. So far he is the only competitor to shoot our number board. Not recommended but pretty funny to see him try.

There are lots more but this is mostly what we see locally and hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:49 PM

So here's the next dilemma... these are pics of the 10/22 that we'd be using at The Games. Wouldn't you know it, no sling swivels.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperjock22 View Post
So here's the next dilemma... these are pics of the 10/22 that we'd be using at The Games. Wouldn't you know it, no sling swivels.

Any suggestions?
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-ri...s-10-22-a.html

Go to the Appleseed website and follow the links. nice info about modifying the 10/22 for Appleseed that will help you.
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html
Old 07-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Another question for anyone who knows: at the Western Games how many relays are held for Rimfire Sporter? I need to figure out how much equipment can be shared. There could be as many as 5 of us shooting (3 adults and 2 juniors), and between us we've got 3 "shooting mats" (aka furniture pads ), 3 rifles, and 1 spotting scope. Is this enough for the format of the match? Are spotting scopes used?

Thanks again to everyone who's replied to these questions! It's been very helpful!