Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 PM

Thanks Jayhawk for the detail.

I'm pretty sure the Sig Stainless Super Target grips aren't legal, but I don't have any qualms about changing them out. I'll look around for someone with a Ransom to see what the maximum potential of this thing is - I know it's more accurate than I can coax it to be right now.

The price I noted is for the Stainless Range Officer. I'm a stainless guy, but I'm also a revolver guy - if I have to "stoop" to run a carbon steel 1911, I suppose I can do that ;0)

I'm also a tinkerer, do a lot of rifle and revolver smithing (even have to pay Uncle Sam his part), but I've never built a match 1911 - and I'm not naive enough to think I can do it better even than a factory target model, let alone a custom smith. I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of starting out ABOVE entry level so I can be "relatively competitive" if my skill allows. I don't have any delusion of being anything more than a disappointed guy with a gun in a box at the end of matches, but if I can leg out with a $1500 rig, I'd be content to do that. My fervent competitive days are behind me, regardless of the sport. I wanna shoot matches because I love shooting, love competing, and have admired the Distinguished Badge since I was a kid.

But... If I'd struggle to earn leg points considerably moreso with even a fine tuned stainless gun than I would a carbon gun, I'll buy the dang carbon gun!
Old 12-25-2016, 09:09 AM

Does the Springfield have a two piece barrel?

Mark
Old 12-25-2016, 09:52 AM

No, not for quite some time.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 12-25-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Does the Springfield have a two piece barrel?

Mark
Are there 1911s now with two-piece barrels?
Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 PM

Ok, I'm curious........... What is a 2-piece barrel anyways?
Old 12-25-2016, 02:10 PM

The chamber portion of the barrel is a separate piece from the rifled portion. They are pressure fit or welded together. If you see a slight seam on the forward portion of the chamber part of the barrel, it is two piece. It's my understanding they were barrels used by Springfield on the pistols coming from Brazil.
The Springfield 1911A1 that I converted into a hardball gun back in 2005 had a two piece barrel that I replaced with a NM barrel and bushing. The Range Officer that I bought in 2015 has a one piece barrel.

Last edited by CDRT; 12-25-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
The chamber portion of the barrel is a separate piece from the rifled portion. They are pressure fit or welded together. If you see a slight seam on the forward portion of the chamber part of the barrel, it is two piece. It's my understanding they were barrels used by Springfield on the pistols coming from Brazil.
The Springfield 1911A1 that I converted into a hardball gun back in 2005 had a two piece barrel that I replaced with a NM barrel and bushing. The Range Officer that I bought in 2015 has a one piece barrel.
Ah, okay, thanks.That reminds me that apparently the Marines used to do something similar before there were good barrels available--they would sleeve rifled blanks into the rear portion of the barrel or weld on legs to the blanks. This was also before there were rifled blanks with enough meat that you could machine the legs right out of them.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post

Ok, Thank you for the explanation.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:26 PM

I'm old school but my preference is a Colt Gold Cup National Match pistol. Buy it and shoot it. As for the current Series 80 triggers, I find that they are just fine. The current Series NM's are not quite as good as the Series 70 NM's but most of that has to do with the hand fitting in the Colt Custom Shop of the older pistols. They are still very good and very competitive pistols. Rick
Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 PM

Now that 9mm is legal, I imagine a 1911 in 9mm would have an advantage over a 45 in rapids. Would anyone now recommend a range officer in 9mm as a competitive pistol?