Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 PM

Are both the SA range officer and colt competition legal for EIC? I've read the rules but they're a bit confusing when it comes to allowed pistols. I am looking at an entry level government model and both seem to be good at a reasonable price point.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-10-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPN_PacNW View Post
Are both the SA range officer and colt competition legal for EIC? I've read the rules but they're a bit confusing when it comes to allowed pistols. I am looking at an entry level government model and both seem to be good at a reasonable price point.
Thanks,
Brian
They are both legal under the current rules. The Range Officer is a good choice. It has a Bo-Mar type rear sight that is easily adjustable. The Colt Competition would be okay, but the rear sight is not easily adjustable and would be a disadvantage when shooting the 50 yard slow fire. Plus it is a more expensive than the Range Officer.

Last edited by CDRT; 02-10-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Good deal - thanks for the info, CDRT. That helps out a lot in selection process.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:11 AM

What is the general opinion on the Ruger SR1911?

I haven't tallied up the exact numbers, but with the discount I have, it's looking at first blush like I can get into the Ruger then modify the slide and replace sights for less than it would cost to get into the RO. I'm still operating under the premise of using my Sig Target Stainless as my primary, but I can get a pretty dang good deal on the Ruger to use as a back-up pistol, and potentially for my wife to use on those few matches she might attend.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:22 PM

Ruger makes a model with Bo-Mar type sights; that would save you the trouble of changing out the rear sight.

Replacing the Novak-type sight can be problematic because the cuts are different.

What kind of discount are we talking? You can get a RO for around $800. A new rear sight is between $80 and $100.

The Ruger will work. One of the guys here has one and for an out-of-the box gun, it is okay.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:48 PM

I'm a stainless guy, and don't shoot well enough (now, and probably ever) to notice the difference between the two. Blued RO is $800, stainless is $900, and I just checked, I can get the stainless Ruger Target with the Bo-mar type sights for $675. Guess that kinda makes up my mind for me.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminterror View Post
I'm a stainless guy, and don't shoot well enough (now, and probably ever) to notice the difference between the two. Blued RO is $800, stainless is $900, and I just checked, I can get the stainless Ruger Target with the Bo-mar type sights for $675. Guess that kinda makes up my mind for me.
There you go. Good shooting.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:06 PM

Always that unanswerable question though - if the Ruger isn't as accurate as the SA, saving money doesn't save money...
Old 02-19-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminterror View Post
Always that unanswerable question though - if the Ruger isn't as accurate as the SA, saving money doesn't save money...
I would say that they are comparable. It does not take much to tune a hardball gun (1911) compared to an M9.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 AM

Is the Colt M45A1 legal in matches? I have never shot in competition before and find the allowable pistol rule confusing.