Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2016, 05:48 PM

Default Match small bore

Looking to get into match smallbore shooting for the winter leauge ( after I got sucked into service rifle this summer) need some education I don't want to spend a boat load of money but I would like a rifle that is competive
Old 11-16-2016, 08:10 AM

I'll take it for granted that this serious competition and you're looking for a 1/2 MOA or better rifle.
I'm sure you've looked at the Anschutz, Walther and Fienwerkebau and got dizzy over the prices. You get what you pay for and these rifles are sweet for sure!
That said, if you can run down a Kimber US82 or an H&R M12 you're in business for under, maybe $800. The Remington 513T and Winchester 75 are great rifles, however really clean ones won't be much cheaper. Outfits like Champion's Choice and Champion Shooter's Supply can help you find used German rifles but the price is creeping up.
A Mossberg 144 LSB might be found for under $500. These are very good, on par with the Rem 513T and Win 75s but getting hard to find.
The Win 52 and Rem 40X are getting expensive, good ones starting at over $1000.
There is a bright spot out there however. Savage makes two models of the MK2 rifles set up for match. One is a single shot the other repeater. They come with Williams target sights which are not $700 sight sets but still good enough for 25 and 50yd shooting. I believe if you talk to Savage customer service Savage will set up either rifle with the Boyd's Tacticool stock,which Savage offers on the MK2 tactical rifles. This is an excellent stock and is just what the Savage needs to be a good entry level rifle.
The Savage isn't an Anschutz but the MK2 action is solid and these rifles shoot.
Hope this helps.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 11-16-2016, 08:16 AM

I just checked and the savage website no longer shows the single shot but only the MK2 FVT repeater.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 11-16-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
Looking to get into match smallbore shooting for the winter leauge ( after I got sucked into service rifle this summer) need some education I don't want to spend a boat load of money but I would like a rifle that is competive
Buy a service rifle small bore upper from Compass Lake. You can put it right on your service rifle lower.

Small bore and service rifle really are different disciplines. Using the SR upper in small bore is a great thing, and it will accelerate your learning of service rifle. I have one of the CLE smallbore uppers and have shot many a clean on the A17 target (50' NRA Smallbore). This can be done, too, with CCI standard velocity.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:53 PM

if you are serious about smallbore shooting, which is great practice for service rifle prone, look for a lightly used savage/Anschutz .22's from the 1960's. I have three of them, all costing under $400, that shoot with the best of the new rifles. You will have to find the ammo that shoots best in your rifle, as .22's are somewhat fickle. All of my bargain bin rifles will hold moa at 100 yrds with the right ammo.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:16 PM

I firmly believe a person can learn the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship better by starting off shooting smallbore.

Much of the reason being is that a standard velocity .22 LR is in the barrel 3X as long as a .223. This makes follow through critical.

It is easy to call the shot due to the lack of muzzle blast and recoil.

In service rifle shooting a little inconsistency in your position or shot execution may get you a wide 10. In smallbore the slightest deviation is almost guaranteed to get you a 9.

In short, smallbore forces you to be consistent.

Windlogik is right that a rimfire upper would be good cross training if AR15 shooting was the goal. However, I have seen a few of them in smallbore prone matches in the hands of Masters and HMs and they did not shoot well.

If a rifle/ammo combo does not shoot well, how much can you learn?

The other thing is ammunition. Forget the bulk box stuff. Forget high and uber-high velocity stuff. Even a $6,000 Bleiker or Grunig & Elmiger will not shoot well with cheap ammo.

Use only standard velocity target ammo. Wolf and SKJagd target stuff being about the lower end of the heap. Some folks have luck with CCI standard velocity.

As to low cost rifles....most of the Kimber 82 formerly sold by CMP shot very well. Same with the Remington 513T but with these it may be difficult to mount a modern scope. The H&R 5200 and Mod 12 shot well but the stocks are uncomfortable for most.

If I had to start over it would be with an Anschutz, either a new low end model like CMP sells or a used higher end rifle. I started out thinking it was just going to be practice for highpower but I found out it was a hoot in its own right.

Give it a try.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 AM

I started out shooting a Mossberg 144LS that cost about $300. It will hold 1" at 50 yards prone shooting Wolf MT. It took me to my expert rating, so that's not too bad. Now I'm shooting a Winchester 52D with Eley Black and it's really helped, but it was, as stated, the inexpensive Mossberg that showed all the flaws in my positions.