Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2016, 11:08 AM

You all may want to go to the Century Site now,They have good clear pictures of each of the M-14 parts also a better description of the parts ,Parts look pretty good,Trigger groups look a little worn and a couple of the bolts but other than that id say we did ok.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:42 PM

Most of the parts in those pictures look all used up, I think I will put my money else where.

REN
Old 12-11-2016, 01:42 AM

Sure they are just got my parts today,My New never put on a rifle Winchester Barrel gauges a 0 on MW I don't have anything currently handy to check my TE,The blueing is perfect on the Barrel or phosphate im not sure what it is ,also the crown is perfect not a nick or a scratch on it,I am fixing to open up my other parts if there anything close to this im fine with my parts in hand ill take some pics after i sort thru what i have,I sure hope everyone else that ordered any gets a barrel like this no rust or corrosion inside mirror bright bore. Ill be investing in another HRA Barrel and bolt at least.

Looks like,I'll keep the barrel of course and the op-Rod and Bolt,It's all dirty and grimy as heck and not a lot of finish left on most of the parts other than the Barrel and op-rod ,Ill know more after they get a bath,For the prices there charging id say only the Barrels are worth buying,everything else seems to be needing refinishing lots of early old school parts in what I got.I hope the rest of you do better than I did.I'm contemplating sending some of this right back where it came from.

Im gonna give it all a bath in the parts washer and see how it all looks after that ill take some before and after pics and see if the parts are any better what I got from the CMP A kit was much better but these are obviously early parts and Winchester which has always been not the best on finishing and machining parts anyways,But if your looking for pretty nice parts that do not need refinishing like my CMP A-Kit was stay away from the Winchester parts on here,Maybe the H&R or other will be nicer,You could not ask for a better G.I. Winchester barrel I got unless you got one from the factory,Ill take some pics of them dirty as they are now,No filthy not Dirty,And give them all a good cleaning in the parts washer then take some more pics and see what i got,Renisin may be right on a lot of these parts im seeing.

Last edited by Big_Red; 12-13-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Merge individual posts
Old 12-11-2016, 07:47 AM

Smal, I think you may have gotten lucky with that barrel, good quality used Winchester barrels are almost impossible to find. If yours is indeed a new Winny barrel you truly are a lucky man!

Please post those pictures, you may save someone from wasting a lot of money and time.

Thanks for going to the trouble.
REN
Old 12-11-2016, 09:32 AM

Renisin ,It's brand spanking new old stock for sure,its original finish there are no scratches marks etc in the finish on the barrel receiver threads also where the pins and barrel bands go on not a scratch also where the Gas cylinder and the Flash hider are put on no marks at all or scratches.

The inside of that barrel is as clean of a barrel i ever saw,I got extremely lucky then as after a night of part cleaning and scrubbing most of my other parts cleaned up too other than that darn Gas cylinder,could it be stainless steel and that would be the reason its as shiny as a new dime.Also anyone know what the spec measurements are for a serviceable Op Rod handle tab .

I was not sure how rare a Winchester barrel unused was to tell ya the truth but figured Winchester was most likely a good one to go ahead and build since New American Winchesters are a thing of the past .I have some pics ill post I just need to oil these parts up and take a few more then ill post some up,But a good cleaning on these parts has made them much better.Winchesters finish alwaays was rough anyways so someone getting one of the other makers may get a batch of pretty parts but id bet they will be filthy like mine were .,And I was thinking oh boy I got Scr#@$%, But after working my butt off all night cleaning them up with some very good polishing cloths and polishing some parts by hand to get the crap stains out of the metal,There pretty good except for that darn Gas cylinder that looks like so bright and shiny,The finish on my parts is more of a light grey ,My other M-14s a H&R with an original finish and its more of a dark black look to the metal,That's another reason I thought my parts were crap,I was looking for that dark finish on the metal. Got some pics coming later today.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:45 AM

The gas cylinder is in fact stainless steel. If you will post pictures of your barrel, particularly the shoulder I believe I can tell if it is a new barrel. To be honest with you it is not likely a new barrel but a nice take off.

If it were indeed new it would be in the tube. I have seen some really nice barrels presented as new, and from pictures on the net they did look new, upon close inspection it was a very nicely refinished reworked take off TRW barrel.

Ren

Last edited by Renisin; 12-11-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:45 PM

It has a 0 mw and I'm pretty sure from the looks of things there has not been a round chambered and shot in it from close examination I have seen a many rifle barrels ,I'd bet my last dollar it's a new barrel ,But I have lost a many last dollars also from people who know more than I do for sure,But I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to firearms,Far from a know it all though.The shoulder area as in where you would clamp it to put on and remove the barrel,Is that where your looking to see if its been on and of a rifle??,,I'm loading pics now. Well if its a Take off its one heck of a nice one that's for sure, Its a 64 dated barrel from what i can tell,Has the Winchester name written out has the Defense dept stamp etc.Chamber is white not parked like a refinished barrel would usually be ,Im still learning a lot about M-14,s having spent most of my time in Garands,Carbines and some 03,s and other rifles,So M-14,s I am learning about and any help would be greatly appriceated from you Ren and anyone else. Thank You ,Smal
Old 12-11-2016, 12:45 PM

I sure hope my winnie barrel is as nice as yours!

I have one of them Jame River welded Winchester heel receivers and have been looking for a winnie barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smal View Post
Renisin ,It's brand spanking new old stock for sure,its original finish there are no scratches marks etc in the finish on the barrel receiver threads also where the pins and barrel bands go on not a scratch also where the Gas cylinder and the Flash hider are put on no marks at all or scratches.

The inside of that barrel is as clean of a barrel i ever saw,I got extremely lucky then as after a night of part cleaning and scrubbing most of my other parts cleaned up too other than that darn Gas cylinder,could it be stainless steel and that would be the reason its as shiny as a new dime.Also anyone know what the spec measurements are for a serviceable Op Rod handle tab .

I was not sure how rare a Winchester barrel unused was to tell ya the truth but figured Winchester was most likely a good one to go ahead and build since New American Winchesters are a thing of the past .I have some pics ill post I just need to oil these parts up and take a few more then ill post some up,But a good cleaning on these parts has made them much better.Winchesters finish alwaays was rough anyways so someone getting one of the other makers may get a batch of pretty parts but id bet they will be filthy like mine were .,And I was thinking oh boy I got Scr#@$%, But after working my butt off all night cleaning them up with some very good polishing cloths and polishing some parts by hand to get the crap stains out of the metal,There pretty good except for that darn Gas cylinder that looks like so bright and shiny,The finish on my parts is more of a light grey ,My other M-14s a H&R with an original finish and its more of a dark black look to the metal,That's another reason I thought my parts were crap,I was looking for that dark finish on the metal. Got some pics coming later today.

Last edited by spankybear; 12-11-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smal View Post
It has a 0 mw and I'm pretty sure from the looks of things there has not been a round chambered and shot in it from close examination I have seen a many rifle barrels ,I'd bet my last dollar it's a new barrel ,But I have lost a many last dollars also from people who know more than I do for sure,But I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to firearms,Far from a know it all though.The shoulder area as in where you would clamp it to put on and remove the barrel,Is that where your looking to see if its been on and of a rifle??,,I'm loading pics now. Well if its a Take off its one heck of a nice one that's for sure, Its a 64 dated barrel from what i can tell,Has the Winchester name written out has the Defense dept stamp etc.Chamber is white not parked like a refinished barrel would usually be ,Im still learning a lot about M-14,s having spent most of my time in Garands,Carbines and some 03,s and other rifles,So M-14,s I am learning about and any help would be greatly appriceated from you Ren and anyone else. Thank You ,Smal
I am always glad to help, and I will be the first to point out no one knows it all. I spend a large amount my my time looking for M14 parts and reading all I can on it's history, been doing this for going on four years now.

From what I have seen there are very few new from tube barrels out there from the big four(Winchester,TRW, SA. and H&R). I have bought two new SA. barrels, one new SAK and one new CA. barrel, thats it. I have been lucky enough to have purchased two excellent Winny barrels, two excellent TRW barrels with one being a NM barrel(quite rare!). I have also gotten a very nice H&R barrel.

On the down side I purchased a worthless SAK NM barrel and a not so nice Winny barrel, yes live and learn.

The TRW standard USGI barrel was presented as new, many on the M14 forum thought it was, but there were still others who have been around far longer than I who thought it was a reparked, reworked barrel.

Short story, when I received the TRW barrel I cleaned it with acetone which removed bluing marker, I took detailed pictures and blew them up, scoped the barrel. It turned out to be a reworked barrel. Jon Wolfe has the barrel and he called me to tell me it was a good barrel just not new. I told him I was aware and to go ahead and screw it on. Cause theres no way I was going to find a nicer one.

So you see the chances of you having a new Winchester USGI M14 barrel are very slim indeed, you could have a really nice take off and there is nothing wrong with that, its like me looking for a new TRW barrel...easier to find a unicorn!!

REN

ps. it should have a P near the DOD stamp and next to the stamped "M" if the P has a punch mark it is a used barrel for sure. But it doesn't mean its new if it doesn't.

Last edited by Renisin; 12-11-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 PM

Default Barrel, bolt and gas cylinder

My parts arrived today. Not a lot of finish left on any of them. HR take off barrel with a nice looking chromed bore. I don't have any gages to check the TW and MW, MW maybe 1-1.5 (bullet guess). Basically they look like good serviceable parts, probably a little pricey for what I received. The shipping was fairly fast.