Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2016, 01:16 PM

Default M2 Trainer info needed

I just put a M2 training rifle on hold and would like to get some expert info on it. I've attached a link below with pictures. I hope the link works. If not the rifle is in the 12K sn range. Bolt is etched with same SN. I'm guessing that its a springfield overhaul as it has a stock with boxed SA and a circle P proof w/seriffs. It also has a strange trigger cover and hooded front sight. Are these USGI? I would love to know. Barrel is 24.5" dated 38. Other than being over priced do you guys see anything wrong or fake about this gun? Again, I hope the link works. Thanks for any help

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/...Tz_stype%3DGNU
Old 11-29-2016, 03:08 PM

I am sure there are guys here who know these guns well. I have one and its also a M2. If you go to Culvers forum (jouster) a Mr. John Beard is extremely knowledgable and likely will help.

Is this an M2, or a MI marked out as MII? There is no picture of the receiver ring.

Also the trigger is not right. Is the stock marked M2 on the bottom of the pistol grip?

$1900 strikes me as awfully expensive but its been a long time ago when I purchased mine.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:27 PM

appears to just have a trigger shoe..easily removable if you don't like it...nice looking rifle..picture or description of receiver would give more info
Old 11-29-2016, 09:21 PM

Rear sight is a Lyman 48, probably a 48S with the standard slide.

Front sight is probably a Lyman 17 XNA, but might be the Redfield equivalent (which was made in two heights).

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 PM

I have one also- since about 1968, and just love it, it may be as accurate as my CMP Kimber!, and was more enjoyable to shoot than my M75 Winchester, which has since been sold. Good references include The Springfield Rifles by Brophy, The '03 Era by Clark S.Campbell, and U.S. Martial Rifles by Thomas D. Batha. By the way- it does appear to be in very good shape.

Good shooting,

Range Con
Old 11-30-2016, 02:23 PM

OP here,

Thanks for all the info. receiver is marked U.S. Springfield
Armory
cal. .22 M2"

It is not over stamped and is not drilled. No M2 on the stock grip or sn on stock. That leads me to believe it was overhauled and has a replacement stock.
I just looked at the rifle again and saw that the front sight is marked Lyman. Would SA have done this during a rebuild? Also, would they have added the trigger boot? I also just noticed that the rear sight aperture is missing on the rifle. I pointed this out to the Cabelas salesman and he is going to do some looking. The gun came from another store and photos with the aperture in place were taken at that store. This will probably be a deal breaker as I don"t think it will be very easy to find a correct replacement and very $$$.

I do have the Brophy book and is quite informative.

Thanks all
Old 11-30-2016, 03:07 PM

The front sight and trigger shoe would have likely been added by a civilian owner.

Single hole apertures aren't too hard to find and not that expensive. However it looks like that rifle was wearing an adjustable or multi-hole aperture in the pics that will be harder to find and cost more than a single hole unit.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:28 PM

Rear apertures are easily found. Don't let that be a deal breaker.
http://aperturesnmore.com
Old 11-30-2016, 05:10 PM

The M2 in this particular serial number range would have had barrel dates ranging from 1937 to as high as 1942. However, don't try to make logical sense between serial numbers and barrel dates because there is none. The original finish would have been black parkerizing. The stocks on rifles serial numbers above 8000 may have had S.A. in an open bottom rectangle with no other letters. Some have the circle P. This seems to match your rifle. The rear sight would have been the Lyman 48C with the front sight being the standard 03 Springfield type.

The rifle you are inquiring about looks to have been re-parkerized. You can tell by inspecting the bolt well, it will be parkerized rather than being in it's original brightly polished state. You can also pull the slide off the rear sight and check the assemble numbers (3) on the slide and base. They should match but in many cases when a rifle went back to Springfield for overhaul/rebuild the rear sight components were mismatched upon return. Often the bolts will also be mismatched but I think you confirmed that the bolt did match.

Some of these rifles ended up being assigned to DCM sponsored clubs or ROTC units at various high schools and colleges back in the day. This may account for the Lyman front sight or as someone has already mentioned, it could have been changed by any previous owner. I do see quite a few M2s with the Lyman front sight.

This rifle look to be in very nice condition. The price they are asking is what I may expect to see if the rifle was in it's original issue condition. I am pretty sure from the pictures this one has been rebuilt by Springfield and not worth what they are asking.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 PM

Well your hearing from the newest M2 training rifle owner in the country now. Sounds like I'll have no problem finding a rear sight aperture for it. Big SAR show here in Phoenix starts tomorrow and that will be on the list.

I got some pretty good discounts at Cabelas. They had a 15% off all used guns until 3 Dec and the usual 5% off for military/retirees. Still a lot off money but for one sweet rifle I can live with it.

Thanks again for all the great info