Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2016, 06:34 PM

Craigsmg . . . .

Check your "private messages" . . .

I have some good info for you . . . . Jim
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 PM

I concur with BARFTS said in his post above. The rear sight aperture appears to be a Merit Disc. They are much superior to the original aperture. If you want an original aperture is should cost $15-$20. The front sight originally would have been a plain military post like was used on the 1903. They are readily available and not expensive.

I have been collecting the Springfield .22's for 25 years or so. This one looks like a fine one. The bolt well, round channel the bolt moves in, was in the white when the rifle left SA as a new item. If that area is parkerized then the metal has been refinished. Very few M2's will be found with original finish. I would estimate that 5% or less of them escaped rebuild. Considering the condition and discount price I don't think you paid too much.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:31 PM

Default My 1922

You have tweaked my interest, so I pulled mine out of the safe. I have had it for at least 30 years. It is marked
U.S
SPRINGFIELD
ARMORY
Model of 1922
MI CAL. .22
The barrel is 9-29. The stock has no markings. Should the stock have cartouche or other markings? It is in fantastic condition with Lyman rear and covered front sight. I do not have Brophy's book. Thanks
I also have noticed that it has the Neidner type buttplate.

Last edited by Daffy; 12-18-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-18-2016, 03:50 PM

Daffy,

Your 1922M1 would have been built in 1925 and would have had a 24 or 25 dated barrel. A 1929 dated barrel would be a replacement. The rifle would have come as a new item with no cartouches. The cartouches that sellers on the internet auctions proudly describe as "proper cartouches" were placed there when the rifle was rebuilt. Some say the cartouches could indicate only reinspection. The original stock on your rifle would have had the 1903 NM type buttplate. It would be coarsely checkered with a trapdoor. The stock would have been the 1922M1 Issue Type. This means it would have had considerable drop at the butt, the pistol grip would have somewhat flattened sides and the fore end would have grasping grooves. The covered front sight probably means it is the removable sight protector. I recommend leaving the front sight cover off as it needs to be removed to aim the rifle. Each time the sight cover is removed or replaced it scrubs off some of the finish. What I have described is almost certainly how your rifle came as a new item. When talking about features of the Springfield .22's one should never say "never" or "always" as there were infrequent exceptions to the standard item configuration.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:21 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the great information. I have found that the buttplate is the second variation without the trapdoor. It is amazing that anyone would spend the time to rebarrel a .22. I looked at the front sight, and I can see no way of removing the cover without bending metal-which I have no thoughts of removing. Now that you have given me the bad news- any idea of a value? Thanks-Steve
Old 12-20-2016, 06:41 PM

Steve,

Check your email.