Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2016, 10:12 AM

Default M14 Receivers-New, Old Kid on the Block

I've been sitting around here working every day since I left the last project for Gunworks, but my heart and head really isn't in this day to day commercial stuff anymore.

While it is very interesting and I get to handle and see weapons of every make and model, it isn't the M14, day in and day out, which is what I prefer.

Working for a chain of a dozen pawn shops in four states does have it's perks though, except I seem to spend all the money I make or trade my work for guns.

To solve my dilemma, and to that end, I got to thinking, (dangerous, I know), that I do know and am friends with one of the brightest and smartest engineers on the planet. So I decided to give him a call and see if he wanted to help me do something.

My problem is, that I need to know if there is enough interest in me making receivers again, to warrant spending all of my hard earned cash for the last, well, all of my life ? One of the hardest things in business is knowing your customer base and sales projections over a certain period.

I know from talking to Mark Hartman when we were discussing buying 7.62mm Firearms dies from Bula and getting them to make receivers for Rockola, that he was lucky enough to sell 300 receivers in a very short time, approximately 62 days. That helps a lot with start-up cost.

I was also lucky enough to win all the tooling in the auction when Gunworks sold off all their assets too, so that should help. Well, not all, I got two of the three sets they had.

So what say the masses ? Is it worth my effort to produce another receiver, the same quality as the previous ones ? Except no mistakes this time like tight mag wells, or too wide legs. This time I will be in complete control and can assure you all, I have found every mistake possible in the last six years, so they won't be made again. Also thinking of sticking with nitride finish because it is very nice and actually more simple, as it is all done during receiver heat treating. Then they are magnafluxed, inspected, and boxed for shipping.

It might also interest you to know that my esteemed teammate in this venture will be none other than Art Neergard of Shooting Sight. We have already finished the model and had it 3D printed to proof it. The first one is a 1/3 scale of actual size and is the cutest little desktop conversation piece you ever saw. I actually thought of having some made to sell as key chains, but the process is rather expensive to be making toys. Nothing cooler than a 1/6 size M14 receiver key chain with a full auto lug on it.

My other cohert in this operation would be Tony Geeck. His intellect in matters of computers, sales, marketing, technology, and general all around savvy is unrivaled....plus it helps that his brother Joe will be the company c.p.a.

All of these guys have put a bunch of sweat equity in this project, for a long time now, so if the interest is there, let us know so I can make a decision.

I also sent word to Jeff Miller (Bula's man in charge of the M14 project) via Tony, that I may need some help getting it off the ground with raw forgings.
Being the gentleman he is, Jeff said he would look at working us up some pricing. What a guy !

Bula is a big operation and a small outfit like mine doesn't pose a threat or immediate competition. They are a production facility, and get paid no matter who they make parts for. Thank goodness that Jeff is smart enough to recognize that. He and I are all about the same thing. Making sure that everyone in America has an M14, made in America !.....or six.

Best regards to all.......rip
Old 12-13-2016, 10:28 AM

The more the merrier - go for it.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:43 AM

My two cents. I love the M14 platform, carried a real one in the early 70s, shot one in high power in the 90s. Unfortunately, I'm at the point I'm downsizing my collection. I'll always have an M14 variant shooter, but not looking to buy another. So, to generate a sale, you'd have to create enough interest and excitement in me to replace my current rifle with one of yours. Also, I'm no longer interested in gathering parts and sending something off to an M14 builder, a turnkey rifle would be nice if I did decide to switch.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:25 AM

Thx. H2O!

TLB, definitely going to offer complete rifles before too long. We all need to support people at Bula, which includes buying and selling their parts so they will continue making them.

That team has done an incredible job over the past years. Their parts are every bit as good as the original g.i. parts, some are actually better.

I fully intend on using them in my rifles and had previously approached the president, Wayne Phelps and Jeff about producing them with my logo on them. They didn't say no....and I know they want to sell lots of parts.

I guess this is where you say, cross your fingers and wish me luck.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:01 PM

I always encourage anyone with the where withal to pursue their dreams. Sounds like you have a good start so I'm sure you are going for it. I told Gary and Charley that the M14 industry is actually a small segment and not to expect high volumes and it turned out I was right. They made a great try in a difficult industry and produced a wonderful product. I don't see how you could do much better, but I hope you do and wish you much success.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:12 PM

It was published a few years ago that there were about 400,000 semi-auto M14 clones in the US... 300,000 of those are Springfield M1As. In other words, there is unbelievable room for growth & innovation in the civilian M14 market. If you want to prosper you need to produce quality parts/rifles, and market to a more sophisticated consumer.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:22 PM

Best wishes Rip. You sure have been trying long enough. Seems like the flagpole has always been greased for you. With Art N. and Tony G. pushing, you might even have a chance this time.
Personally I am going to continue using LRB and Bula receivers for my projects.

Semper Fi
ArtB
Old 12-13-2016, 01:43 PM

That's fine Art, thx....and the reason they make different colors of paint. Not everyone likes the same color.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:01 PM

But Can you produce a Reciever that would be competitively priced with all the competitors out there ,Better or as good of quality at a lower price,That would ensure you steady business,but maintain enough profit flow in it to stay afloat ? The other bigger manufacturers I'm sure are volume buying materials to keep production material costs low. If you could place your raw material orders along with someone like your friends at Bula and get that break on material costs would help I'm sure tremendously ,I think it would be awesome to see a small start-up company make it among the giants.

Last edited by Smal; 12-13-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:46 PM

M14/Rip, I would be very interested in two or three, I am looking for some custom work in line with what GWs of L.A. offered. If you would like to PM me, please as I am definitely interested.

Ren