Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2016, 03:04 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Yep, James River Armory has been doing it for a few years now. Mating USGI receiver rear halves to new Bula Defense Systems fronts. This is one of their first generation and I understand now they have an even better process. Made me one happy camper to put all Winchester USGI parts including barrel on this one.
I wonder if they would perform that service on my all Winchester built on a forged Poly Tech receiver ???
Old 12-14-2016, 05:31 PM

No need to wonder, give them a call and ask.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:30 PM

I temper my love of the M14 platform with the realization it's almost a niche weapon, While the M14 can fill many roles, it is at its core a Battle Rifle and it excels at that. I grew up listening to the stories of Vietnam Vets who used the 14 in country. That's where the Vietnam Vets and people like myself came to appreciate the platform, back in the 60's and 70's.

The advent of SDM program has given a new generation a love and appreciation for the power, reliability, and beauty of the M14 from their time in the Middle East Sandbox... again as a Battle Rifle. This new generation will probably want their own piece of that history.Which is likely to spur demand in the far into future.

However, The M14 is expensive to build and make "bullseye" accurate. I'd venture to say without the original plethora of inexpensive USGI surplus parts giving those early production rifle builders a head start, many would have failed right out the gate. Springfield Armory Inc, was well established before the USGI surplus dried up. Barring a miracle I don't think we'll see another flood of cheap USGI parts come available. So supporting local quality manufacturers like Bula is a good idea.

Ren... A small shop can do custom work, I'm sure Rick will do custom receivers which btw Rick was the reason why GWLA offered custom receivers.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
Exciting times for real shooters are coming. I will give you a hint though. 15,000 BM59 kits have recently hit the country. They will, and are being assembled as we speak, with new M1 manufactured receivers. I only found out by accident from talking to my heat treat facility, which were the same ones doing the M1's. Soon as I am allowed, I will let you in on it.
Are these receivers going to be in spec? Most of them aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
I wonder if they would perform that service on my all Winchester built on a forged Poly Tech receiver ???
I believe they're different grades of steel, USGI is 8620 and the Chinese are 5100-series (reportedly recycled RR rail).

Eli
Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliyahu View Post
I believe they're different grades of steel, USGI is 8620 and the Chinese are 5100-series (reportedly recycled RR rail).

Eli
I think you are right, thanks.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:23 AM

[QUOTE=geeck;1545678]I

The advent of SDM program has given a new generation a love and appreciation for the power, reliability, and beauty of the M14 from their time in the Middle East Sandbox... again as a Battle Rifle. This new generation will probably want their own piece of that history.Which is likely to spur demand in the far into future.

Best of luck with your new project Tony,Art and Ripsaw.
Would be great to see " This new generation" want their own piece of history, but from what I have seen in recent years,that history is the AR-A2 variant most of the time.
I believe there will remain a niche market for the M-14 type rifle and it's variants. Hopefully enough so that small operations like yours will be able to keep up the game.
May the force be with you.

Semper Fi
ArtB
Old 12-15-2016, 12:56 PM

Sir:

By all means, give it a try!

But to be honest........... I think you'll have a tough road ahead.

The M1A/M14 market is small. Prices aren't cheap, meaning sales are difficult compared to the cheaper rifles out there.

Look at what 2 producers in the field just did:

GWLA closed their doors and SA Inc recently introduced and is marketing hard their new AR line.

Neither are a good sign.

You hinted/mentioned some BM59's coming on to the market. I see them as competition to your efforts, not spurring any sales you might have.

Chances are, the BM59's will be cheaper than your set up.

Not a good sign.

If reviewers can get behind your product (and not start off in squabbles over minute details) and you deliver a quality product at a cheap as price as you can make it.
You'll sell some but it'll be a trickle..... there isn't a huge market, even for a solid well built rifle.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 PM

Glad to hear your moving forward, you've certainly earned it. I'll admit the M14 is something of a niche market, but no reason it can't work, there are enough people who demand quality after all.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with and it'd be good to have a source of GI quality parts available again. Also be real nice to have a forged receiver that is held to GI tolerances.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademaker View Post
Glad to hear your moving forward, you've certainly earned it. I'll admit the M14 is something of a niche market, but no reason it can't work, there are enough people who demand quality after all.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with and it'd be good to have a source of GI quality parts available again. Also be real nice to have a forged receiver that is held to GI tolerances.
I think you will find, for informational purposes, that LRB and Bula Defense Systems are already producing forged receivers and are made to USGI specs. In the case of Bula, they have gone a step further and made them to the center of spec. in most cases.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademaker View Post

If Rip and company can produce a quality product the likes of which GWs of L.A. produced they will sell receivers....period.

The problem with any startup is time. Folks will be slow to invest in such an expensive receiver until a few are built and word circulates they are putting out a first class product. They will have to be prepared to last through the hard times which could be as long a several years before they develop a following.

The three GWs of L.A. I have are top shelf, coupled with the custom heel stamp they are hard to beat. If M14/Rip do it right they will have a winner!!

I will definitely be in for several more, I've got an all TRW NM including TRW NM barrel to build, and looking to build one mix master for the fun of it.

I say go for it,

REN