Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2016, 10:32 AM

Default What upper being used in Modern Military?

Would like to try to get something (AR) together to shoot in modern military class. What type of uppers are you guys using. I thought on just purchasing a carbine upper, so it would make weight. Anybody able to get a 20" barrel to make weight? Not really sure what 20" options there are that will make weight. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:59 AM

I settled on a 16" heavy barrel, A4 (flat top) upper receiver, A2 lower with NM trigger and 4X scope. The heavy barrel was to kill the sling tension issue. I can make the weight (just) and the carbine can put every shot in the X ring....although I can't. No need for a 20" barrel. Good Shooting. ..
Old 12-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Thanks for reply. Sounds like you have it figured out. What kind/brand of barrel did you use? Reviews I read on some was around 2.75" groups at 100 yards. Ouch. There seems to be a lot different options out there, and I only have experience with Rock River and WOA NM barrels.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:29 AM

I use a 20" Windham Weaponry Govt. profile barrel on a flat top. My lower has a standard A2 stock. It makes weight with a little room to spare. To get around the sling tension problem I only use the minimal amount to keep the rifle in my hand during recoil. I use a web sling because it's much easier to adjust for that. I like the longer sight radius of the 20" rifle over the carbine. I've shot a bunch of 98's, a few 99's and one 100 with this setup both rapid and slow prone.

Ceresco's carbine build is a proven winner too. I've seen some targets get cleaned with that setup. So it's a personal preference I guess.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:20 PM

I bought the HB off ebay, heaviest plain barrel I could find. No idea who made it. Looking back over the 6 or 8 M4 types I have built or tried, I have been very impressed with their accuracy--Delton, Tapco, Sarco, chrome lined, light weight, medium weight, heavy weight, they all shot well of the bench. Big difference was ammo, match ammo being far better than the "mil spec" varieties. Off bags, with 52gr HPs, slightly over 1 moa is typical. The sling effect was important and, of course, triggers. Bad experience with the early type M16A1 pencil barrel and early sights put me onto the CAR/M4 types and the rule change to scopes sealed the deal. The scope negates any need for long sight radius and a M4 type will obviously make weight easier than a full size rifle. Using a short, fixed power scope without lighted reticle keeps the weight down and is fine for the 100-200yard matches. The short carbine is a bit harder to hold steady but offhand in the wind, it tucks in better. The scores you are seeing in MM tell the whole story. Barring further rule changes, I'm done searching for a MM rifle. Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 12-23-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:01 PM

I'm running a plain jane RRA A2 upper. It's not a "heavy" barrel but it's not a pencil gov. Profile either.
I have mustered up some local gold medals with high 470s mid 480s. Sling tension took a bit of getting used to.
I just use a web sling and basically just tight enough for stability. Not locked in like my NM rifle.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:58 PM

I ended up buying a Bushmaster carbine. Price was really good. Figured will try as is with minimal sling pressure, and decide if I want to do anything after that. Looking forward to "another" category to shoot in. Been putting off the Modern Military matches for awhile now. Really wanted a M1A, but too much money for me.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:19 PM

Enjoy it! Glad you are getting involved.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 01-22-2017, 01:53 PM

Speaking of uppers... is a Magpul MOE hanguard with no rails (just slots) legal in Modern Military? It's a snap-on replacement for the standard A2 style, but more comfortable for me. I'm considering my first CMP match in OK and want to confirm I show up with legal gear. I would have a 4x scope, with a flat top receiver and gas block.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk