Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Feasibility of building a US Army XM25/Navy M25 clone?

I have a few clone vintage sniper rifles (1903A1, M40, M21 w/ ART II scope, USMC M70 w/ 10x scope, etc) that I enjoy shooting, and I would kind-of like to build a clone of an XM25/M25 Sniper rifle (the Navy version with B&L scope). But I don't have the right parts, and I'm concerned that I could spend years trying in vain to find all the right parts (ie, searching for a unicorn), and end up with a pricey and incomplete project.

Here's a US military picture of B&L scope and Brookfield mount:

..And here's an awesome XM25 clone that another guy was somehow able to build, including a correct stock with the Brookfield liner (left):

XM25 clone right side (note that this stock is 3 colors, not 4 - it lacks black camo):

Here's the tough parts in bold that I think are required for an XM25:

1. Three-color (forest camo) McMillian stock with the Brookfield liner (Probably a unicorn, so would have to perhaps order a new McMillian stock with the 'Ft. Deven cut' and perhaps Tank's Rifle Shop's stock liner? for about $1100 I'm guessing, $600 for stock and $500 for the liner installed? Not sure if you can get this with the selector switch cut-out, but that would be needed)
2. B&L 10x Tactical scope (eBay perhaps? luck required to find this item)
3. Brookfield scope mount (eBay perhaps? luck required to find this item)
4. Medium weight Barnett barrel (probably impossible to find one in newish condition/not shot-out, so would have to substitute a medium weight Kreiger or Criterion in carbon steel)
5. Rings (Leupold Ultra tactical rings? - not sure how hard to find)
6. M1A donor rifle with USGI bayonet lug, etc. (I have an SAI NM I could use as a donor...but only if I found items 1-4)
7. Fake m14 selector switch (I have some of those parts, but they are easy to find)
8. Brookfield M14 gas system parts: gas piston & op rod guide rod

What else am I missing? Is such a project even viable if starting from nothing but a donor M1A?...(and if anyone has any of these hard to find parts that they would consider selling (or trading), please let me know, thanks.)

FWIW, here's a description of the M25:
Quote:
The M25 is similar to the M21 in many regards, it is a National Match M14 glass bedded in a McMillan fiberglass stock, uses a special gas piston, a National Match spring guide and a Brookfield Precision Tool Advanced Scope Mounting System (ASMS). Most rifles used the Baush & Lomb 10x Tactical scope though some of the Army rifles used some of the Leupold Ultra MK4 series of scopes. (Both the M3 and M1), and the Navy rifles have been seen with Leupolds as well (MK4s and VariX-III LR M3s). Ops Inc suppressors have also been used on some of the rifles.

The rifle has been referenced as both the M25 and XM25 in US Navy and US Army docs, so I guess the rifle has two official nomenclatures. The M25 is NOT a replacement rifle for the M24, it was requested by the USSOCCOM to fill a specific need, and it served extremely well in the first Persian Gulf war in 1991. The rifle is not officially in use though may still be seen in use with some of the Groups and Teams.

Last edited by Random Guy; 03-13-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Last edited by Renisin; 04-08-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Ren,
Thanks, I have an account there by don't really post yet...It was the pics of the XM25 clone that got me interested. I like a challenge, but I suspect gathering up the proper XM25 parts might be too much of a challenge at this point, and will need to look at an M25 option.

I was hoping that someone might be sitting on a B&L Tactical scope and or mount that they could part with. If I could find any of the first 3 or 4 items on my list, that would provide the impetus to start such a project. To be continued...
Old 01-11-2017, 01:29 PM

//

Last edited by Renisin; 04-08-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Sold a Early SAInc last year with the tri color Mac stock with insert bought from a Marine friend.... although rare it can be had. The Scope and mount are the issue.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renisin View Post
I have to be very honest with you, I got very luck with a few parts. I put it out there that I was looking to build an XM25 and had a few gentlemen offer some very choice parts, if it had not been for them I would be building an M25 instead.

Parts, that you won't find, Barnett medium weight barrel(unless it is shot out) original McMillan XM25 stock and the Brookfield Precision Tool co. stock liner. You can find the BPTco. mount, NM op-rod spring guide and pistons, the pistons being the hardest to find.

There is a BPTco. NM spring guide on GB for $100 and its been there a while. The mounts can be found on GB from time to time at the $400+ mark.

I wish you luck and I really mean that, its always good to know there are folks out there that know the difference between an LRB/Bula XM25 and the real deal XM25.

Build the M25!
Ren
Could the Barnett barrels CMP sold years ago be turned down to medium weight dimension?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:46 AM

Gene Barnett made medium weight barrels for the M14. Krieger also makes an excellent medium weight DMR barrel. Both Criterion and Bula make medium weight barrels that are direct copies of the original medium weight NM contract barrels.

Changing the contour of a heavy Barnett barrel is possible, but it must be stress relieved before using to avoid the possibility of catastrophic failure. Both button rifled and hammer forged barrels are prone to this issue.

Last edited by Ted Brown; 01-12-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 PM

/.

Last edited by Renisin; 04-08-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Sold a Early SAInc last year with the tri color Mac stock with insert bought from a Marine friend.
Well, like they say, much in life is timing. Wish I would have known about it then...as that would have provided the impetus to begin collecting parts...

If any body spots a B&L 10x tactical scope for sale, or the proper Brookfield scope mount, please send me an email...
Old 01-12-2017, 03:58 PM

?/

Last edited by Renisin; 04-08-2017 at 12:52 PM.