Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 AM

Rens rifle is spectacular. A few of us have xm25 builds. I bought an old kit from someone a few years back and built it on an LRB. B&Ls come up on eBay and elsewhere a lot. I bought 2 and sold one w/ an McMillan stock and later heavy profile Barnett barrel a few months back.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Rens rifle is spectacular. A few of us have xm25 builds. I bought an old kit from someone a few years back and built it on an LRB. B&Ls come up on eBay and elsewhere a lot. I bought 2 and sold one w/ an McMillan stock and later heavy profile Barnett barrel a few months back.
Yes, Ren's XM25 will be very special based the quality of parts I saw in his pics, and your's is also a very nice example. I feel like I'm coming to this party a little late, as various rare XM25 parts have come up for sale in early 2016 etc that I missed out on, and I didn't know you had the McMillan stock for sale a few months back. I was building my M40A5 replica last spring/summer, which was a big investment, followed by a nice Winchester M70 replica sniper rifle from the summer into the fall. Here's that project
Currently has a 10x Lyman Super TargetSpot
...but would prefer the 10x Unertl scope on this project (but with black mounts instead of the silver aluminum mounts):
(...still hoping you can successfully anodize those Unertl mounts black, as that's the final touch to that project...)

For the M25 project, to date I have found a BPT spring guide, BPT scope mount, a properly modified M1 gas cylinder (thanks Ren), and I'm waiting on pics of two B&L 10x scopes this weekend. (would like to build an XM25, but the stock liner and barrel are tough to find...)

Hopefully someone might help me spot the proper McMilian forest camo stock, preferrably with selector cut-out, so we'll see...

Last edited by Random Guy; 01-24-2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Well I

Ren

Last edited by Renisin; 04-08-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:03 PM

No matter what special repro rifle one builds, there is a lot of satisfaction in recreating these great rifles. Mine is an late issue style M21 and a T44E4 built on one of Gunworks four T44E4 receivers. But then I like all of my M14 rifles.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:28 PM

Ted

Last edited by Renisin; 04-08-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:19 PM

Project Update-March 2017: I have been able to collect several parts over the past two months for an M25 replica build (correct B&L 10x tactical scope, BPT scope mount, a decent 3-color forest camo McMillan stock, etc). I still have a long ways to go (receiver, bolt, trigger group, NM rear sight and NM flash hider w/ front sight) - but I'm getting closer...

Parts thus far for a circa 1993 Navy-built M25 replica sniper rifle:
(the lower unitized gas cylinder was one modified by Mitch of BPT, but the Navy match barrel also came with a welded/unitized gas cylinder as well).

The neatest part I have gotten so far is a Navy heavy profile match M14 take-off barrel, dated 4-93, which corresponds to the era when Crane reportedly built some M25s, presumably for Navy SEAL snipers. (Barrel's ME = 1.25 and TE = 2.0, so I lucked out, as the barrel is still quite serviceable). Markings are "1 10 7.62 MM 4 93 4 SPL USN") Its a blued barrel characteristic of the Gene Barnett barrels of that era, so I am going to have to parkerized, as I think that would look be more correct.

Brookfield spring guide (dated 1996):

Not pictured above, but a local guy I know from the Quantico sniper rifle matches has two sets of NOS/vintage Leupold Ultra rings for me, as seen on the M24 and M25 rifles. (Ren is getting the 2nd set):

Still a long ways to go, but good progress so far. I'm mailing the stock off to McMillian this month to have the M14 "selector cut" added to the stock so I can install my inoperable selector switch parts (for aesthetics only, of course). I'm still looking for a BPT gas piston in case anybody has a spare they'd be willing to sell....

Last edited by Random Guy; 03-10-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 AM

You're getting there!
I tell you.... someone sold me a heavy weight Barnett barrel with a "bad finish" a few years back for $30. That bad finish was PAINT. Over perfect black oxide finish. I chemically stripped the paint, and put it on a Fulton receiver, it's one of my best shooting rifles.

My real shooters are my M40a3 and late M40a1. Wait till you get that bug.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:45 AM

TokiWartooth,
The finish on the Navy barrel is definitely a blued finish, which apparently was customary of Gene Barnett barrels during that era when he was the "go to" guy re M14 barrel chambering, etc. I hope the rifle will shoot well once it all put together. (I paid way more than $30 for my Navy match take off barrel (!)).

Regarding the M40A3 and M40A1, I decided to skip the A3 and went straight to the A5 a year ago. (I plan to add the proper SureFire suppressor once funds allow, so I don't have the itch for an A3). I tried my A5 at the Quantico vintage precision rifle event in Sept 2016, cleaned the target at 300 yards (150-5x), and dropped only 5 points at 600 yards (145-0x)...

...so its definitely my solid 0.5 to 0.75 MOA shooter with match ammo. Hope to take it out there next month to try it at 800 and 1000 yards...we'll see... (The real M40A1 in the background is one that the 2112s bring out for this match)

Speaking of the M40A1s, yes, I would very much like to add one of those to my small collection, but I keep buying other stuff, and haven't had good timing on getting a USMC return stock that would motivate me to build one. I did try a real one at Quantico back in 2015...

...and I like the history of the A1s, but for now my effort/$ is focused on this M25 project.

I have one other project in mind that perhaps you can help me out with...an AR TEL/ART I scope for my other SAI NM M1A...(its the bottom rifle in this picture, 48k, circa 1989):
...if you have lead on a nice AR TEL or if you were able to replicate the ballistic's cam, etc, please let me know....

Last edited by Random Guy; 03-13-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 AM

Very interesting guys. Thanks and good luck on your projects.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:05 PM

What the f...

Last edited by Renisin; 04-08-2017 at 01:55 PM.