Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:28 AM
CDRT CDRT is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas Panhandle
Posts: 1,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
By all means, ask the CMP and they will probably add it to the list next year. That's how the other ones got on here.
No, that is not how they got there. The CMP committee went through a gun catalog and picked what they thought would be available. The original list included revolvers, but they correctly eliminated them before the final list was published. Only one pistol has been added to the list since then.

The original reasoning on this was to add a bunch of guns to the list that people might own, so they could shoot the EIC match, without spending any money on a pistol that would specifically be eligible for the match. It had nothing to do with how well they might shoot.
__________________
Navy Vet, Distinguished Pistol, TSRA Conventional Pistol Director
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:33 AM
bpm32 bpm32 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South MD
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
No, that is not how they got there. The CMP committee went through a gun catalog and picked what they thought would be available. The original list included revolvers, but they correctly eliminated them before the final list was published. Only one pistol has been added to the list since then.

The original reasoning on this was to add a bunch of guns to the list that people might own, so they could shoot the EIC match, without spending any money on a pistol that would specifically be eligible for the match. It had nothing to do with how well they might shoot.
Wait, you mean the CMP made a bunch of rules nobody wanted or asked for???!!! I'm shocked!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 AM
CDRT CDRT is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas Panhandle
Posts: 1,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
Wait, you mean the CMP made a bunch of rules nobody wanted or asked for???!!! I'm shocked!!!
Good one.
__________________
Navy Vet, Distinguished Pistol, TSRA Conventional Pistol Director
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 AM
Ham_Chu Ham_Chu is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 113
Default

OK, I'll bite....

Why no revolvers?

Unfair? no one has them? reload time? something else?


....Just picturing that 88 Magnum on the firing line.......
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 AM
CDRT CDRT is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas Panhandle
Posts: 1,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Chu View Post
OK, I'll bite....

Why no revolvers?
Unfair? no one has them? reload time? something else?
....Just picturing that 88 Magnum on the firing line.......
It's a Service Pistol match, not an any gun match.
The Rules Committee basically ignored all the input from those of us who sent something in, except the fact that revolvers are not really a Service Pistol in the true sense of what the match is about.

Also, the revolvers on the list, did not make any sense, since they specifically omitted the one revolver that would have a chance; the S&W Model 25 in .45 ACP, since it has a 6 1/2" barrel and they limited revolver to 6" barrels.

In addition, there already is a EIC type revolver match out there; the NRA's Distinguished Revolver match, so adding revolvers to the EIC would have been redundant.
__________________
Navy Vet, Distinguished Pistol, TSRA Conventional Pistol Director
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 AM
LazyEngineer LazyEngineer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Chu View Post
Short barrel, but fixed; part of the frame. Always made it the most accurate pistol I have owned (w/o ever owning a match-conditioned pistol). Trigger is great, too.

Now, I HAFTA try this at 50yds!

EDIT: This was the pistol issues to NJ (State?) Police for many years...so I can see the justification....every other service pistol made the list.
That's why I asked. As a stock service pistol, people seem to speak highly of the P7 for this reason - fixed BBL (as opposed to one that swings back and forth), good quality trigger, low bore axis, and balanced in the hand. I've messed with one, and noticed the squeeze cocker is weird at first, but once you get used to it, you realize that once it's squeezed, you can pretty much fully relax your hand, and it stays squeezed, so there's no odd tension there throwing off the shots afterall.

Was curious if they kept it out because it was upstaging the US pistols, or if it was just a case of not enough representation to bother. Sounds like the latter.

Thanks for the replys, I'm not into Pistol EIC yet, I hear it's hard as Hell, and about as expensive. But might go try a match or two for grins someday.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 AM
CDRT CDRT is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas Panhandle
Posts: 1,766
Default

I guess we will have to wait and see if someone gives us a report on how it does at 50 yards.

I have a feeling the short sight radius and fixed sights will be a determining factor.

And yes, the match is hard, but not necessarily expensive. It does help, if you start with regular Precision Pistol matches first, with the .22 to get used to the course of fire, especially the 50 yard slow fire.
__________________
Navy Vet, Distinguished Pistol, TSRA Conventional Pistol Director

Last edited by CDRT; 01-16-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-16-2017, 09:59 AM
missilegeek missilegeek is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: AL
Posts: 1,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
No, that is not how they got there. The CMP committee went through a gun catalog and picked what they thought would be available. The original list included revolvers, but they correctly eliminated them before the final list was published. Only one pistol has been added to the list since then.

The original reasoning on this was to add a bunch of guns to the list that people might own, so they could shoot the EIC match, without spending any money on a pistol that would specifically be eligible for the match. It had nothing to do with how well they might shoot.
That and they got a $100k or so from Glock shortly before the rule change.
__________________
Service Rifle: 1884-2015 RIP.
Service Pistol: 1903-2014
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
That's why I asked. As a stock service pistol, people seem to speak highly of the P7 for this reason - fixed BBL (as opposed to one that swings back and forth), good quality trigger, low bore axis, and balanced in the hand. I've messed with one, and noticed the squeeze cocker is weird at first, but once you get used to it, you realize that once it's squeezed, you can pretty much fully relax your hand, and it stays squeezed, so there's no odd tension there throwing off the shots afterall.

Was curious if they kept it out because it was upstaging the US pistols, or if it was just a case of not enough representation to bother. Sounds like the latter.

Thanks for the replys, I'm not into Pistol EIC yet, I hear it's hard as Hell, and about as expensive. But might go try a match or two for grins someday.

I know this thread is more idle conversation.......... but I'll my experience with the P7 in here........

No the P7 wasn't "upstaging US pistols" and yes, the NJSP and a few others carried them. It was also, in use in Germany, both with the Police and Federal Forces.

Strengths:
-accurate.
-steel frame and parts.
-quick to use.... BTW.... It is VERY quick to use: So on an empty mag (slide to rear)... drop mag and cock the pistol. The cam will not only drop the slide closed and locked but cock the pistol. It's all in one motion. So the cam acts as a slide release and cocking lever.

Downsides:
-With the piston design (sitting below the barrel) if you shoot several mags rapidly, it heats up there.
-After around 700rds without cleaning, it gets sluggish. When you manually work the slide, you can feel it.
-low magazine capacity.
-no light mounting rail.
-If you want to see a complex design... take the grips off and it is like a watch in there......... springs, cams, ALOT of parts.
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,967
Default

Oh.... PS it is a Gas operated system and not recoil like 99% of pistols.
So don't be careless and try to run hot ammo thru it........... after the first shot........... you'll know the issue.

Actually ..... to further idle conversation......... what other gas operated pistols are there?
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.