Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2017, 01:15 PM

I think the Desert Eagle is gas operated. Walther makes the CCP now, using the HK gas system. They market it as a softer recoiling and easier to cock pistol - and use a polymer frame which supposedly helps insulate the hand better. I think some South African country does as well.

As to "hot" ammo, apparently it sort of self-regulates, since the gas pressure is what keeps the slide closed. So hotter ammo exerts more force on the piston, which keeps the slide locked with more force, until the pressure releases out the end, and the blowback is allowed to work. Or so they say.

The heat issue I don't imagine is a factor in an EIC match. And they make P7's with 13 (14) round capacity. The "heat" thing in some ways is kind of a more modern worry - it used to be one would take a box of ammo to the range, and that would be the day. And an encounter was a <10 round affair (for non-military). The advent of IDPA/USPSA and common reloading, has kind of changed the pistol world now to the more modern 200 rounds an outing, and 60 rounds in 20 minutes action shooting world, and I imagine those could be interesting with a P7. Though it's been said the P7 is an excellent action shooters pistol due to the low recoil, low bore axis, trigger, pointability, and exceptionally fast reloading (M13 in particular). But from what I read, if you aren't done in the first 2 mags, things could get toasty. That, and the P7 just wasn't designed for the modern 200,000 round life expectancy you can get out of a decent polymer pistol today.

But most importantly, when combined with an AUG - one has ability to recover many millions of dollars in bonds from an LA Japanese office building (along with a stylish wardrobe and swooning 80's chicks). If I were to show up at an EIC match with one, I'm going to have to wear a suit and tie, with a trim beard...
Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 PM

Well.... I was actually speaking from experience with the P7M8.

Back in the day I shot the P7 alot so I got to know it.

I'll rephrase my comment: I know from experience.... shooting hot SMG ammunition will force the slide locked to the rear and break a bushing around the striker. So no don't do that.

I found the P7M13 to be too fat. It is a thick pistol. Far thicker than a current hi-cap 9mm.

The heat builds up around the dust cover/piston area. So if you have a straight trigger finger index, you will notice it. Not an failure but an issue.

The life expectancy is there, I just found that cleaning the gas system around every 1000rds avoided that grittiness (from the carbon build up) when manually working the slide.

Buy one, rent one shoot one see what you think!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:54 PM

Still waiting on that 50 yard range report.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
But most importantly, when combined with an AUG - one has ability to recover many millions of dollars in bonds from an LA Japanese office building (along with a stylish wardrobe and swooning 80's chicks). If I were to show up at an EIC match with one, I'm going to have to wear a suit and tie, with a trim beard...
That P7 fell off a skyscraper and all those negotiable bearer bonds are useless now.....

But apparently the AUG is in private hands and has been restored to 1988 appearance.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
Still waiting on that 50 yard range report.

If you're waiting on me............ It'll be awhile.
My current project is shooting some 223 loads out to 1000yds.

BTW.... as we've already mentioned about the OP's musings, I agree with you that at 50yds the short sight radius and barrel will make it interesting....................

I did shoot it out to 25yds but that was on a silhouette and while it was ok for that, my memory of the groups wasn't like the bullets were touching or something.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
That P7 fell off a skyscraper and all those negotiable bearer bonds are useless now.....
But apparently the AUG is in private hands and has been restored to 1988 appearance.
Best Christmas movie ever.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
Best Christmas movie ever.
Tell that to Takagi.