Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2017, 12:09 PM

Default Camp Butner Questions

Can anyone chime in on the following? I'm going to register for the games matches there.

My wife will be accompanying me for the games section of the matches (Fri-Monday). Neither of us are familiar with the area. Can you help with some information on the area and schedule?
Is there anything for my wife to do in the surrounding area. She likes to read and would consider a safe park or coffee shop a good place. Are there antique shops, museums, battlefields, anything? It looks like this place is in the middle of a boondocks section of nowhere.

Schedule:
What is the 'competitor only sales event'?
Is there food there, even a sandwich trailer?
Say I get stranded there because my wife is at the Potpourri Emporium, and forgets to pick me up. Is there a shelter or anything similar that I can shelter in? I know what's at Perry, not Butner.
Will there be a 'commercial row' of any sort?

Thanks for any insight.

Jess
Old 02-01-2017, 02:55 PM

Jess: the base is a few miles from a major exit off the interstate. Everything is around that exit--kind of like I94/US27 at Marshall, but smaller. Try for a motel there. There are the usual franchise eats and stores near the exit. The base is very nice, has a covered picnic area with a pop machine, (bit of a hike from the ranges) near the qounset huts, no commercial row, but CMP will bring their stuff to sell after the matches, no food on base except for one CMP Barbecue. Not much around the area, but Raleigh Durham is not too far.... You will like the (motorized target carriers) and the eastern games. Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 02-01-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:57 PM

Chap:

There is plenty to do if your wife wants to drive down towards Raleigh, about 30 min away. There are shopping malls and restaurants, all with indoor plumbing even! But in the immediate area near Butner there isn't much more than a few fishing spots.

The sales event is for people who are actual competitors in the CMP events. They'll have some drill rifles and maybe other odds and ends. They never know until they are packing up what they'll bring.

Usually no food vendors.

There is a tent setup for the awards ceremony that you can wait in until you wife comes back, assuming she will. Cell phone reception can be sketchy depending on who's service you use. So make sure she knows what time to head back because you may not be able to call her. Perhaps put an alarm on her phone..
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!