Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
If your point of aim point of impact is good at 50 yards.
Your center of your group should only be a tad high at 100 yards.
I think there is something flawed in your testing.
Try shooting prone with a sling and support your arm with a sand bag. Do not support the rifle.
I'm going to have somebody else shoot my rifle and see what their results are and will go from there.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:46 PM

I had a friend shoot my rifle at 100 yards from the bench and he had no issues. I tried shooting my M14 again today and I was still shooting high... about 4 inches or so high from the bench. Granted I don't have perfect eyesight but what gives ? Getting a taller front sight would solve my problem, but is there something else I'm missing here ?
Old 02-21-2017, 05:54 PM

What is your head position when compared to your friend.

How are you looking through the rear sights? Straight on or through your eyebrows?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
What is your head position when compared to your friend.

How are you looking through the rear sights? Straight on or through your eyebrows?
Honestly not sure. Don't really put much thought into how I look down the sights. All I do know is I shoot my Garands just fine...
Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

If you can't resolve your sighting issues than follow this advice that has been given to you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gun-drill View Post
If your handy you could also modify the rear aperture. Just remove it from rear sight base and file down the area that extends forward if the track. This will allow the aperture to sit lower and lower the POI. Should be a bunch of Google photos to show what I'm describing.
Rear aperture's are cheap and the modification won't be seen. This mod will give enough clicks to lower the rear sight the 4 inches you need.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:14 PM

Is the barrel indexed correctly? Is anything out of alignment?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
Is the barrel indexed correctly? Is anything out of alignment?
Doubtful, since a friend of mine had no issues shooting it center...
Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 AM

There is a lot of good advice on your thread. You should do a full inspection on your rifle to make sure everything is aligned properly. Tony Ben has pretty much everything you need to know on YouTube. Also, there is a lot of other info on the M14 forum.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:53 AM

This sounds like a sight alignment issue in your eyes, or how you are seeing it Phillies. The first thing we do here when something like this happens is what you did, let someone else shoot it.

The modification linked is not for lowering the rear aperture, it is for quick removal of the aperture to replace at a match. If it slightly lowers it, it is a fluke mostly.

If you want the aperture to go lower you would have to grind off the forward end of it where it hits the receiver at it's lowest point as someone else mentioned. but that is negated by the gear notches in the teeth allowing it to go any further.

Try moving your head forward where you can see both sight post protector ears on the left and right of the front sight post. Use these to reference as second and third points for aiming, then center your post as usual in the aperture circle. The protector ears should be around 10 and 2 o'clock in your sight picture with a tiny bit off light above each side before centering your post on the target....then fire away using the exact same sight picture each time.

Let us know how it works out for you. Three points of reference are always better than one for repeatability....at least in my experience.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
This sounds like a sight alignment issue in your eyes, or how you are seeing it Phillies. The first thing we do here when something like this happens is what you did, let someone else shoot it.

The modification linked is not for lowering the rear aperture, it is for quick removal of the aperture to replace at a match. If it slightly lowers it, it is a fluke mostly.

If you want the aperture to go lower you would have to grind off the forward end of it where it hits the receiver at it's lowest point as someone else mentioned. but that is negated by the gear notches in the teeth allowing it to go any further.

Try moving your head forward where you can see both sight post protector ears on the left and right of the front sight post. Use these to reference as second and third points for aiming, then center your post as usual in the aperture circle. The protector ears should be around 10 and 2 o'clock in your sight picture with a tiny bit off light above each side before centering your post on the target....then fire away using the exact same sight picture each time.

Let us know how it works out for you. Three points of reference are always better than one for repeatability....at least in my experience.

Thank you ! My problem is solved. I shot the M14 again today and I leaned my head into the rifle a little more and bingo, no more shooting 4 inches high. Being so used to the Garands, the M14 ergonomics always seemed a little awkward to me. Apparently when shooting the M14 I would always keep my head back a little too much. Never even realized I was doing that. Is the M14 butt stock longer than that of the Garand perhaps ? I do feel a little stupid, nor does it make any sense, but glad I solved it. Thanks again

Last edited by Phillies; 02-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.