Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Default M1A Rear Sight

Hey guys. I have a question regarding the sights on my Springfield M1A. Its a early 90's build. Has a lot of usgi parts mixed into commercial parts. It currently has springfield inc sights on it. I believe they are in meters if I am not mistaken. I am taking the DRC sights off my M1 garand and replacing them with lockbars. Would it gain me anything replacing the springfield sights with the DRC's? Or should I just keep them the same?
Old 02-21-2017, 12:00 PM

The only problem you may have is thinking in yards rather than meters... Not really a problem is it? Most of us don't pay any attention to the markings on the sight anyway. We just count clicks for known distances. Good zeros are most important.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:14 PM

I am a more in tune with yards than meters.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:37 PM

Did you hear him? A click is a click. Doesn't matter whether the drum is marked M for meters or 12 graduations for yards. No one pays attention. Only clicks to the 100 yard zero and come ups.

From 100 yard zero:
2 to 200
3 to 300
11 to 600 yards
Old 02-21-2017, 03:55 PM

If you don't take hammonje's advice you can do the math this way.

1 yard (3 feet) is equal to 0.91440 meters

At any point that you do not like the impact location of the round; you would have to either come up/down, left/right to get to the impact location of your choosing.
So look at it as either glass is half empty or half full.

As my Marine Drill Instructor used to say. "I don't give a s**t what you THINK I said, stop overthinking this and do as I said." -SSGT Perry (Heck of deep thinker he was...)

Hope this helps, it really does not matter what is on the drum as you will be changing it to suit your rifle anyway.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
Did you hear him? A click is a click. Doesn't matter whether the drum is marked M for meters or 12 graduations for yards. No one pays attention. Only clicks to the 100 yard zero and come ups.

From 100 yard zero:
2 to 200
3 to 300
11 to 600 yards
Apatently not......

I could count clicks, but why not just roll the sight to 2 hundred yards, or whatever distance, and go from there?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAWman View Post
If you don't take hammonje's advice you can do the math this way.

1 yard (3 feet) is equal to 0.91440 meters

At any point that you do not like the impact location of the round; you would have to either come up/down, left/right to get to the impact location of your choosing.
So look at it as either glass is half empty or half full.

As my Marine Drill Instructor used to say. "I don't give a s**t what you THINK I said, stop overthinking this and do as I said." -SSGT Perry (Heck of deep thinker he was...)

Hope this helps, it really does not matter what is on the drum as you will be changing it to suit your rifle anyway.
Wouldn't having a knob that is in yards be easier to operate? If I range a target at 300 I turn the know to 300 and adjust up or down from there?

With meters I would have to do the conversion or do click counts.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Hey guys. I have a question regarding the sights on my Springfield M1A. Its a early 90's build. Has a lot of usgi parts mixed into commercial parts. It currently has springfield inc sights on it. I believe they are in meters if I am not mistaken. I am taking the DRC sights off my M1 garand and replacing them with lockbars. Would it gain me anything replacing the springfield sights with the DRC's? Or should I just keep them the same?
The advantage to changing the rear sights will be realized if the DRC aperture has less slop or is tighter in the sight base than the original, and if the military gear and pinion is tighter fitting to make adjustments more repeatable.

I suggest taking both units out, feel the fit on each, mix and match to get the tightest tolerance parts, and use those. Or, you can slightly peen the sight base or disrupt aperture edges with a punch to tighten aperture fit in the base and will likely have to lap it back in to get it to fit nicely, and tighter.

Worn pinions and aperture gear teeth are hard to fix though and are best replaced with newer tight fitting parts for maximum accuracy potential to be realized.

Do this carefully as all of this is advanced type armorer work. If not comfortable with this type thing, send rear sight to someone that is to effect tightening them up.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Wouldn't having a knob that is in yards be easier to operate? If I range a target at 300 I turn the know to 300 and adjust up or down from there?

With meters I would have to do the conversion or do click counts.
It would in a perfect world, but the scale is there only as a rough helper on a two way firing range. Read, battle for your life.

All mean zeroes need to be checked in the field with the ammo you intend on using. The quickest conversion if in doubt is to use 10 percent less if in meters. You range 500yds, turn meter pinion to 450. My 600 yd. zero with M14 rear sights in meters is exactly the 550 mark or between the 5 and 6 on the elevation knob.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Copy. Thanks.

I realize I would have to field check with the ammo. I have never had a rifle with battle sights on them. I have always used holdover or under when shooting on the range. Or I have red dots that I just do the same with.

The dials are a new concept to me. I am trying to learn how to best use them.