Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Same dies for the exact same case. Except they only label the AR series dies that way which are small base dies with a taper crimp seating die included. BTW, neither of which is required for loading 223/5.56 ammo for any shooting platform except maybe a commercial semi auto or pump gun.

To my knowledge regular RCBS dies are only labeled 223 Remington (REM actually), like Lyman, Redding and Hornady.
My post was made in humor, I wonder how many reloading forums in Europe have people asking if they can reload their 5.56 cases with a .223 die.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Since 223 and 5.56 cases begin their life exactly the same size sizing with 223 Remington dies (you can't even buy 5.56X45 dies) sizes them back to their original size. Avoid Federal brass. Most of it has problems you don't want to deal with. Some would say that you need to modify your loads down to use 5.56 brass because it's thicker. Unless you are loading all the way to max that is generally not necessary. No matter whether I'm using commercial Remington brass or LC or WCC I load them the same and see no difference in pressure signs or accuracy.

As far as annealing? It's just simply not worth the trouble for brass you can pick up at any range by the hundreds/thousands or sometimes buy for as little as $50-$60 per thousand for LC. $100 fully prepped. At those prices you reload 3-4 times and throw it away if you choose. I recently bought 1000 pieces of pulled, primed LC brass for $90 per thousand...shipped. I've never annealed a piece of brass in my life in any caliber. It can be an important process for serious match shooter but for general shooters and reloaders? Why?
I totally agree. I rarely anneal brass any more with one exception. I do from time to time reload 8mm Mauser using 30/06 brass. This is a shorter round so length must be corrected and resizing moves the neck/shoulder down a good bit so when all is done, I do anneal them at this time. I reload this brass as much as 6 times with no problems but I toss them after 6 reloads.