Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2017, 05:48 AM

Default Powder coating lead 45 bullets ...question

If you go on Youtube, it's seems all the rage now to powder coat bare lead bullets, both pistol & rifle. (Instead of messy conventional wax or Alox lubes.). The process seems very simple & cheap, with great results. My question is, I came into a few thousand 200 gr, Lead SWC 45's and they aren't lubed, as far as I can tell. I want to make sure there's no clear, thin, or otherwise hard to see lube on them before I powdercoat. Is there a way to tell positively there's no lube on them?

Thanks for any help with this
Old 03-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
If you go on Youtube, it's seems all the rage now to powder coat bare lead bullets, both pistol & rifle. (Instead of messy conventional wax or Alox lubes.). The process seems very simple & cheap, with great results. My question is, I came into a few thousand 200 gr, Lead SWC 45's and they aren't lubed, as far as I can tell. I want to make sure there's no clear, thin, or otherwise hard to see lube on them before I powdercoat. Is there a way to tell positively there's no lube on them?

Messy? Sorry, but I run my bullets thru a Lyman 450 Lubrisizer which makes them the proper size for my handguns, and the BAC lube that I use is certainly not "messy".

Don
Old 03-08-2017, 02:06 PM

Well, besides feeling them you could rinse them in solvent/mineral spirits. I treat PCed bullets just like bare lead bullets; same sizing and loading method. I normally don't try to load them much heavier than nekkid lead and I still have mebbe 400, bright red, 200 gr. LSWC waiting to be loaded...

I've found the process to be different but no less messy than plain wax based lube and tumble/dip lubing. That ultra fine powder gets everywhere...
Old 03-08-2017, 02:32 PM

Ok, good to know. A lot of the videos show guys shaking them in a plastic tray with a lid, which I might try, since I am not ready to get the inside of my tumbler all red..The SWC's I have feel naked, but I always shot w/ wax-based lube, so was curious about Alox, etc. & what film it left, if any. The videos on PC'ing seem to show a cleaner, quicker process with no leading or PC paint deposits. I will try rinsing them in acetone and air dry'em in the sun before I PC.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2017, 06:06 PM

Take one of the bullets and powder coat it.. Once cured and cooled smash it with a hammer until its mostly flat. If the powder coat adhered properly it shouldn't be flaking off the bullet.

-Eric
Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
... My question is, I came into a few thousand 200 gr, Lead SWC 45's and they aren't lubed, as far as I can tell. I want to make sure there's no clear, thin, or otherwise hard to see lube on them before I powdercoat. Is there a way to tell positively there's no lube on them?

I like to dip "unlubed" lead bullets in a bath of mineral spirits (drying them afterwards) to remove any lube/grease/oil that may be on them.

BTW, here is a pic of a tray of .44s & .45s that I did a couple of years ago.

Be aware that you will need to (re)size them after you coat them. I use the Lee bullet sizing dies in my press for the task.

Enjoy!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:57 AM

I use coated cast bullets in a 1911 from Missouri bullet company and i love them. They run great and very very little leading. i send them around 800FPS and they are accurate. Only bullet I will shoot when its comes to target practice and cast bullets.

Last edited by Jtbaker1989; 03-09-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 AM

Powder coated bullets are awesome. Lube doesnt get on your fingers or in your dies. No smoke and you can push them fast. Been playing with them around 1350 in the 38 super
Old 03-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
Powder coated bullets are awesome. Lube doesnt get on your fingers or in your dies. No smoke and you can push them fast. Been playing with them around 1350 in the 38 super

Quote:
No smoke ???
I always thought mainly powder contributed that.

So the coating eliminates smoke but the extra work to coat,... I can live with a slight bit of smoke with H Clays with .38 Spl.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Looks like there's not much extra work. It's really a quick process from the vids I saw. Kinda "shake & bake"...Just got two pounds of Harbor Freight Red powder. (Like $6 per lb.)
Saw the video where the guy cleans his 44 mag. After shooting many PC'ed rounds. Not a hint of leading or red paint in the bore...Gonna try it out this weekend.