Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 PM

Default M1A with an early Hook Boutin Op Rod Guide Mod

Just found this rifle at a local gun show. Seller was walking the show for at least a hour before he came by my table I'd bet. Surprised me that no one had purchased it but then many do not even know the history on the early M1A's so maybe it's not that surprising after all. What truly sold the rifle to me is the early Op Rod Stabilization work done by Hook Boutin. The rifle does not have Hook's signature but the stock has been refinished and poly coated so I'm assuming it was lost during this work. The Gas system - Op Rod Guide mod is very intriguing to me as I have a set of original blue prints giving to me by Hook where He applied for a US Patent on this design. As well I was told by Hook he abandoned the full length tube and went to a half tube quickly after this design so it is very uncommon/rare to have had a rifle done this way much less survive so long untouched. Hope all enjoy the pictures of how things used to be done.

Last edited by Don in SC; 03-13-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:18 AM

Ok..... I'll ask.... I see what he did there but what was the point?

I assume to try to remove any flex (lateral movement) of the op rod as it moved rearward under impulse? Or?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:56 AM

Wow what a find!
Vic
Old 03-14-2017, 12:28 PM

+ 1 Bob . Very nice
Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 PM

That looks like one of 'Ol Hook's hand made recoil spring guides too Don. He was the best. Had the honor and pleasure of working with him in his shop down in Bremen GA to either build or rebuild all of my Garands and M-14 type rifles. A recognized master armorer for the Garand and M14 platforms, a walking history book chock full of real-life stories from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, and a helluva kind and generous man to boot. RIP.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 PM

You guessed it, the op rod chatters during recoil and when returning to battery. Hook and a few of the fellows at the AMTU early on were trying to squeeze all the accuracy they could from the M14. They took a couple of NM rifles to RIA and made High Speed Standard and X-Ray Films of the rifles being fired. One thing they found was how the side torque of the op rod caused and feed chatter into the rifle. Hook came up with this mod and applied for a patent on it. I have some of his blue prints and paper work on the design some where. He must have given it to me twenty plus years ago when I was just a novice M14 Armorer for the State and was working under him to learn how to do it the right way. I had only heard of these and seen the blue prints but never seen one for real until this Sunday a the Ashville Gun Show. Had to have it as they say. I need to reach out to
Elmer Ballance as the rifle appears to be one of the Lackland Air Base Built Devine National Matches but has since new been worked on by Hook and possibly other Match Gun Smith's. It's guns like this that make three days at a gun show worth while for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Ok..... I'll ask.... I see what he did there but what was the point?

I assume to try to remove any flex (lateral movement) of the op rod as it moved rearward under impulse? Or?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Agreed, I miss Hook he was a great friend and mentor to a newbie M14 NM Builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTD76251 View Post
That looks like one of 'Ol Hook's hand made recoil spring guides too Don. He was the best. Had the honor and pleasure of working with him in his shop down in Bremen GA to either build or rebuild all of my Garands and M-14 type rifles. A recognized master armorer for the Garand and M14 platforms, a walking history book chock full of real-life stories from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, and a helluva kind and generous man to boot. RIP.