Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 AM

Post I'll never do this again

Had a chance to pick up LC LR 308 brass and the seller offered to uniform primer pockets. I had no idea he would do it with a motorized unit and half the flash holes are over sized and many are oblong.

I should have know the risk. I will never do this again. I'll do my own primer pocket uniforming with TLC rather than take an offer off a stranger .

For 800 and 1000 yd work, these flawed cases are useless. I guess I could use them for 200/300 yd bulls eye shooting...scoring circles are huge but for serious groups at beyond 300 yds....this brass is a complete loss.

Lesson learned and I hope you don't step into this minefield .
Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 AM

Got bitten by that too. Bought some "once fired" .223/5.56brass. Every single primer pocket was "fixed" just like yours and they still had spent primers in them. Scrapped all 3000 of them.

Finally bought a Dillon primer pocket swager. Hated paying for it, but it's fast and virtually effortless. Buy once, cry once!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:54 AM

You should probably just buy lapua brass. For your skill level and expertise its all that will match up
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 AM

How does the reamed primer pocket effect accuracy?
Old 03-19-2017, 02:17 PM

I have been buying bulk once fired 5.56 and 7.62 "processed" brass from the link below for several years and never had any problems with their brass.

Brass Bombers
http://www.brassbombers.com/

.308/7.62 - Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged - LC Only - 500 Pieces
http://www.brassbombers.com/308-762-...-7LC-S0050.htm
Old 03-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
I think it's the buggered flash holes that are more concerning
Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
I think it's the buggered flash holes that are more concerning
Yes, this is correct and the holes are way over sized, many oblong as well.

Lay 50 cases neck down in a loading block where you can view flash holes and the lots of cases are hardly "uniformed" ...just drilled out flash holes of no consistent sizes.

Anyhow...discovery learning is painful. I learned a lesson the hard way.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 AM

Exclamation

I think your seller may be contacting you, or should anyway. Don't ask how I might know that. I'll leave it at, we've been in contact.

He offered to unitize primer pockets yet he was apparently talking something completely different. A true mix-up in nomenclature and he may have used a tool he was unfamiliar with, adjusted incorrectly. Primer pocket uniforming has nothing to do with flash hole deburring and can't possible damage the flash hole since they are preset to only cut to a prescribed depth and have no teeth on the side of the cutter that would damage the primer pocket, let alone the flash hole. In contrast, an improperly adjusted flash hole deburr/uniformer tool definitely can bugger up brass especially when turned by a power tool. It's a device that must be re-adjusted for every brand/headstamp of brass and for every type of brass. If you don't know how to use one or adjust it you're better leaving it in the box. Nothing good can come of using it wrong.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
It equalizes the pocket depth which translates to equal lock time. in millionths of a second. Also firing pin striking force. in millionths of an ounce.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
It equalizes the pocket depth which translates to equal lock time. in millionths of a second. Also firing pin striking force. in millionths of an ounce.
Another case of incorrect nomenclature. "Reaming" a primer pocket is removing the military crimp, it is not unitizing the pocket. Reaming it should not change the depth unless the person doing it Gorilla's the work so much he bottoms out the tool and keeps on turning. "Unitizing" a primer pocket unitizes or equalizes the pocket depth to assure proper and equal seating depth. A pocket unitizing tool is generally preset at the factory and will not deepen the pocket more than it should. They also do not have teeth on the side of the cutter to damage the shape of the pocket though carelessness can accomplish most anything I've found.