Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplexus View Post
Redfield made a base stamped RT-HIGH that raises the Redfield 75 rear sight about a 1/4" above the height of the standard base. The comb on the 513T is pretty tall. This base helps a bit with making the 513T more of a man sized rifle. The taller base also lets you use the 513T w/75 out to +100yds.
Redfield also made a 513T base that allows you to mount an Olympic rear. Don't have the number offhand, but I have one.
Both of these are hard to find, but come up every so often on FleaBay.
I'd say VERY hard to find - almost at the level of unobtanium.

I was skeptical about modifying a 40X base, but it would be easier and less expensive than waiting to bid up the price of one of the originals.

I have Viani scope mounts for both my 513Ts and the Viani mount includes an integral iron sight mount that will accommodate either a 75 or an Olympic. Viani raises the line of sight some 3/8". Not my rifle in this pic, but you can get the idea:

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Default Rem 40X vs 40XB sights

In Presidentg's great list of sights for .22's, it shows the Redfield Olympic F/R for the 40X. I once read somewhere awhile back that the 40X used the Olympic and the 40XB (heavy barrel) had the Redfield International or Palma. Does anyone know if this correct or was it an option you could use/get?
Thanks.
SMiller
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM

I'd probably defer to the barrel date code, compared with what was in production when the rifle was assembled. Weren't Internationals being manufactured in the mid-50s?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM

In Nick Stroebel's book the Remington 40X is listed as being delivered with the Redfield Olympic front and rear or delivered with no sights. The 1966 Shooters Bible lists the 40X, standard or heavy barrel, rimfire or centerfire, as no sights with Redfield Olympics front and rear as an option.
Price in 1966? Without sights-$154.95 with sights-$184.95
Price today? $3500+. I fear I've lived too long.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 01-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
I'd say VERY hard to find - almost at the level of unobtanium.

I was skeptical about modifying a 40X base, but it would be easier and less expensive than waiting to bid up the price of one of the originals.

I have Viani scope mounts for both my 513Ts and the Viani mount includes an integral iron sight mount that will accommodate either a 75 or an Olympic. Viani raises the line of sight some 3/8". Not my rifle in this pic, but you can get the idea:

How much windage adjustment do you lose by using a modified 40X base? Recently, original 40X bases have been hard to find as well. Typical they've been going for about $40 ($20 at CSS).

I picked up the RT-HIGH for $40 and Numrich was selling two of the Olympic bases on Fleabay last Aug. Got one with screws, for $15 and forgot to bid on the second. Don't think enough people knew what it was.

If you don't look, you don't find.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentg View Post
In Nick Stroebel's book the Remington 40X is listed as being delivered with the Redfield Olympic front and rear or delivered with no sights. The 1966 Shooters Bible lists the 40X, standard or heavy barrel, rimfire or centerfire, as no sights with Redfield Olympics front and rear as an option.
Price in 1966? Without sights-$154.95 with sights-$184.95
Price today? $3500+. I fear I've lived too long.
Does he specify the retail versus the US/USMC rifles?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
Does he specify the retail versus the US/USMC rifles?
Unlike the 40's 513T contract, I don't think the USMC messed with the sight specs.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM

The 521 front sight is a blade not a bead or mine are anyway.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
I think the rear on the 521 was the Lyman 57 RS. It does not need a block.
Correct; however, AFAIK, all those the CMP shipped this last round had mounts for the Redfield 75 installed.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM

Default 521T front blade sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
The 521 front sight is a blade not a bead or mine are anyway.
On my last trip to the NS, I found a 521T barreled action and Bob and I measured the blade dovetail sight that was on it. It measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the blade .550.
Brownells has a 3/8 dovetail 'blank' that could be made to work if one was wanting to use a blade sight?
BTW I tried to tempt Bob into letting me just buy the sight from that barrel. He was very helpful and told me I could have it for what the barreled action was selling for.
binlookin

PS: I knew there was something else I needed/wanted to say here? After looking at the front blade sight on the 521 barrel at the north store, I realized that it did not look like the ones listed at Numrichs nor Brownells. It does not have a bead, It's a straight flat blade profile as you would look at it from the rear sight. From the side view The top of the sight is narrower, being approximately 1/8" wide then it tapers towards the base of the sight at approximately a 25* angle with the diaginal cut ending approximately 1/32" above the barrel. [NO! I didn't have enough sense to take a picture of it!] If anyone is going to the north store and there are any of those barrels with the front sight left on them? Snap a picture and post it.
A buddy and I are supposed to go to the SS in the next two to three weeks? If they have a barrel with a sight on it I will take a picture of one. I am satasfied after getting to see one up close and personal/ That there would be very little work to produce a very respectable replica from the blank that Brownells sells? If I get close enough to take a picture I will also take some measurements, THIS TIME! I had my head and hands full of Garands what else can I say!!!
I know! I know! there are other sights that will get the job done, but a major part of collecting these guns, at least for me. Is the never ending quest to restore the item as near to ORIGINAL as I can possably get them? [Now that I think about it, maybe I should have just paid Bob for the barreled action and front sight???]

Last edited by binlookin; 02-23-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: I just had to say a bunch more.