Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Barrel Question

I picked up a 1903A3 Sporter built off a Smith Corona. I have heard some of these builds used turned down USGI barrels. The barrel on this one measures at about 1.5 ME, but does not have any markings that I can tell. Does this seem "normal" and maybe the original barrel or were there "generic" barrels with no markings for the Sporter builds?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Likely a GI barrel. Many were shortened, cutting off the stamps. How long is it?

Have you looked at the entire barrel, out of the stock, for stamps?

Mike
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 PM

Default 03A3 sporter

Many of these were shortened to remove the arsenal markings. Measure the length using a cleaning rod from closed bolt to muzzle. Most of the time they did not bother to turn down the barrels especially on SC. If it is less than 24" it has been shortened. These are still great rifles and when I have hunted deer and hogs in Texas this is what I have used. The extra weight reduces recoil.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 AM

Is there a witness mark on the underside of the barrel that lines up with the witness mark on the underside of the receiver?GI barrels had them.Aftermarket not likely since they tend to come without the extractor cut make yet.Also is it two groove rifling?That would likely be GI.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:05 AM

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....58#post1562658
Link to earlier thread with photos.
Thanks for the replies. The barrel length is 24" and seems to be the same length as USGI. 2 groove barrel as shown in the photos in the other thread. I can not see any witness mark but the barrel is definitely smaller in diameter than the USGI Remington ones on my other 1903A3s. I broke the rifle down and can not see any markings on the barrel at all, which seems odd to me.

Thanks again. If you guys and/or gals have any comments on my other thread it would be greatly appreciated as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 AM

I'd guess the barrel is a Remington. SC made a few 2-groove barrels, dated 11-43. The original barrel for you receiver would have likely been dated around June of '43.

Mike
Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I'd guess the barrel is a Remington. SC made a few 2-groove barrels, dated 11-43. The original barrel for you receiver would have likely been dated around June of '43.

Mike
Thanks for the info Mike.