Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Default Confused about a couple items on the 1911 requirements list email

I was wondering if somebody would be able to please give more detail on these 2 points... what exactly do i need to do to satisfy these:

A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.

The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check performed by the FFL holder, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Correct. 2 checks. One before CMP will ship to the FFL, second at the FFL prior to release to you.

A hoop I am willing to jump through. If your FFL charges you an exorbitant amount to make the NICS phone call, then folks need to utilize friendlier FFLs. (Mine only charges $25)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 AM

I am confused how I go about getting a NCIS check myself and where this 4473 form is...
Old 12-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khenzel View Post
I am confused how I go about getting a NCIS check myself and where this 4473 form is...
Filled out for your FFL.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:22 AM

Just confirming that there isnt any additional paperwork i need to send to the CMP for this? This is a new step, so i presume they will be contacting me for the background check? Or will they be providing an additional form i need to fill out to grant a release for the check to be run?

And the 4473 that i have to complete at my ffl, is this also front-loaded, or will this only happen once CMP contacts me after my paperwork is received?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
The Form 4473 can be in one of two forms. Both are normally filled out at your local FFL's location when picking up a firearm. One version is done on a computer. The other is done on paper. The FFL does the NICS check either thru a Point Of Contact or the FBI directly. In Florida as an example, the POC is the Florida Department of Law Enforcement who then submits it to the FBI computer system. A non-FFL cannot do a NICS check except as the POCs or CMP does. The 4473 has to be signed in front of the FFL but it is allowed by some to fill them out ahead of time and just sign and date at the store if you do it on their version of the form. Sometimes saves time if you have a couple filled out and just need dating and signing.
The pdf of that form can be found at https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download if you want to look at it. You fill in lines 1-15 and the FFL fills in the rest. The CMP does a NICS check but does not use the Form 4473, theirs is done off the 4 page order form that you send in.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Just confirming that there isnt any additional paperwork i need to send to the CMP for this? This is a new step, so i presume they will be contacting me for the background check? Or will they be providing an additional form i need to fill out to grant a release for the check to be run?

And the 4473 that i have to complete at my ffl, is this also front-loaded, or will this only happen once CMP contacts me after my paperwork is received?
Have you purchased a firearm from CMP before?
Send in your paperwork and everything they require to purchase these pistols.
CMP will run a background check on you before shipping the pistol to the FFL of your choice.
Once your pistol is received by your FFL and you go to pick it up that FFL will then do a background check on you and fill out the appropriate paperwork to transfer the pistol to you.
No other paperwork is required by you.
This is how I understand it.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 AM

My bet is the CMP will have a "NEW" order form for the pistol orders.

It will spell out the additional requirements, like a FFL copy for all, and that all the other documents need to be submitted again.

Once you meet all the requirements, CMP will check you out like they do for rifle purchases. If you pass, then you get in the lottery.

When they contact you that your are a winner, and you pick your pistol, and pay, they will send to your FFL.

Your FFL will do his normal thing with you, and submit another check. If you pass, you get the pistol, unless you are in one of the states that have a waiting period.

Just like the first time you ordered from the CMP, but it will go to your FFL for aditional processing. Sort of a CMP CYA for them.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 12-06-2017, 02:22 PM

This is not that hard to figure out guys, You need all new fresh forms and a signed copy of your FFL's license all sent in with the proper post mark to be in the running to get one.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:49 PM

spamkys56 is correct. Its just like your very first purchase from the CMP. I am sure the CMP has worked out the logistics of the first NICS check that they will preform. The second will be at your 01 FFL. Just think of it as buying a NEW pistol.
Closed Thread