Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Default Surplus 303 british

I just picked up some surplus at an auction. Mixed head stamps I haven't got it sorted yet but is there any certain headstamp to not shoot? Also any easy way to know if it is berdan primed? I bought it as plinking ammo for my son to shoot.

Also good place to buy stripper clips?

Thank you for any help
Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 PM

I'd assume unless it's HXP or commercial it's probably Berdan Primed

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/303headstamps.html

That said PM your mailing address and I'll send you some Greek made Enfield clips.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 AM

I would avoid surplus .303 British other than HXP. Much of it is corrosive primed and cordite. The combination is very distructive to barrels. Additionally, you may be dealing with very old brass and the possibility of case failures. Just not worth it. Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-14-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I would avoid surplus .303 British other than HXP. Much of it is corrosive primed and cordite. The combination is very distructive to barrels. Additionally, you may be dealing with very old brass and the possibility of case failures. Just not worth it. Good Shooting. ...
Do you think I could salvage the bullets or did I just take an expensive lesson?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:48 AM

Odds are, if it is not HXP it is berdan-primed and sports chlorate ("corrosive") primers.

A quick way to separate out the cordite (burns HOT and prematurely erodes throats) rounds is to shake it by your ear (assumes good hearing ) ... cordite strands are packed in TIGHTLY and do not move. Nitrocellulose is loose and can be heard moving inside the case. Also, if the headstamp states that it is MkVIIz or Mk7z, the propellant is nitrocellulose.

Enjoy!
Old 07-14-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
This is usually very good advice but i would call the recently released German made MEN .303 surplus another exception to this. It is berdan primed but non-corrosive primed. Dates on this is running in the 1980's.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:33 AM

There is really nothing “bad” about Berdan primers. They may be chlorate, and if of unknown origin, clean the bore the day you shoot. Berdan cases are tedious to reload, it can be done. Getting Berdan primers is not easy.

There are several sizes of Berdan primers, the large ones are easy to spot. If your not sure, shine a light in the case after you shoot it and look for the two flash holes. Don’t run it into a sizing die until you check.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/844/43...172f59_o_d.jpg

Case on the left has the large Berdan. Case in middle has the small Berdan. Case on the right has the large rifle Boxer.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/914/28...41c932_o_d.jpg