Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2019, 01:08 PM

Default Simple Hackberry Stock Refinish

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1At...T-4NNr6G-zF5Zd

I sold a Hackberry stock recently and had a lot of people ask how I did the refinish. It's simple.

Sand off the existing finish, DON"T go too deep (see photos) let the grain still retain some of the original spray finish. End with a nice high grit sandpaper.

Chestnut Ridge stain. It's the best I know of and alcohol based. Give it a lot of coats until you are happy. They come in 2 bottle sizes, 1 month supply, and 10 year supply.

Raw Linseed Oil (I am sure you can use BLO too).

Wax. Garand Gear makes a good way, you can use beeswax for wood too.

That's it! Obviously if you have a stock with any real value this is not your best course of action. I refinish those as well, but it's an entirely different process, and it never involves sanding. This is quick, and makes a nice looking stock from a "giveaway" stock.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Thanks! I'm saving your method on my hard drive. Now I just need to cross my fingers and hope my next rifle comes with a Hackberry stock!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:44 PM

You are the first person to ever say those words Jake! "Now I just need to cross my fingers and hope my next rifle comes with a Hackberry stock!"
Old 03-06-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripton View Post
You are the first person to ever say those words Jake! "Now I just need to cross my fingers and hope my next rifle comes with a Hackberry stock!"
Yes, I know! I was joking, but that stock you did came out very nice.

I believe that there are two different shades of finish that have been seen on the Hackberry stocks. It looks like yours had the darker shade, and I'd guess that the same method on the lighter stock wouldn't come out as well.

Last edited by Jakeroub; 03-06-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:52 PM

I know you were I think so on the color, almost all of the Hacks I have seen have been this spray finish. This one was dated on the inside 0ctober 2018 I believe.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripton View Post
I know you were I think so on the color, almost all of the Hacks I have seen have been this spray finish. This one was dated on the inside 0ctober 2018 I believe.
Ripton- do you think substitute of tung oil for blo would work well? Thanks for posting your method.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:05 PM

I have used tung oil on a lot of other furniture projects. It's worth a shot it you don't have RLO or BLO. That's the best thing about these stocks, it really does not matter if you really screw it up, you can always sand and start over, no history to erase. One thing I would consider not deviating from is the stain, if you can use an alcohol based stain.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:18 AM

That came out very nice. Mine was similar, although I was going for more of a "Golden Oak" look using an alcohol based maple stain followed by a TruOil finish. I just stripped with citrus strip, little to no sanding needed. There's no accounting for taste, but I think the Hackberry stocks - as evidenced by the OP's as just one - can look really good, albeit non-traditional.

I don't know of anybody who thinks the spray on stain/paint/whatever as they come from the CMP is a "good thing (tm)". Hackberry isn't Walnut, and no amount of weird finishing is going to make it look like Walnut. Embrace it for a beautiful wood in its own right, and results such as the OP's are achieved! Frankly, Walnut isn't the prettiest wood out there in the 1st place!

My Feedback Thread

Last edited by Zorba; 03-07-2019 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:58 AM

I used to work at a shop in Texas that introduced me to refinishing stocks back in the late eighties. There's a lot to the process of stripping, sanding and wetting and repeating, but the finish they used was WATCO Danish oil. We normally used the "natural" color stain, but you can get various "colors". Once I learned the process, I used it on several stocks, to include an M1 I owned at the time. It turned out well and even though I didn't have a lot of wood left to work with.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 PM

I like it- reminds me of my Crosman 140 pellet gun stock- Elm, but with a similar distinctive grain pattern.