Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
The 30-06 solves all problems. I love the 30-06 and also greatly admire the 6.5 x 55. So I gotta ask, instead of putting all that money into converting an 03A3 why not simply put it into a good receiver or target sight for the M96 or M38? The beauty of the latter is that it's very close to the 03 and 03A3 in appearance and handiness. That sounds like an interesting rifle to me as I think the accuracy of the cartridge also has something to do with these well built rifles. Also to me, the 03, 03A3, Garand and even the 1917 are far more interesting in their original chamberings. Just asking, nothing more.
I appreciate the honest question. The reason for my fixation with the Swede is probably no different than a guy preferring skinny blonde girls. Quite simply itís what floats my boat, and like I said in the first post, Iíve got nothing else to say in my defense. I have a 1917, 1903, 03A3, 03A4 and several Garands in 30-06. I absolutely love them all. I just see a whole lot of 03A3 sporters and drill rifles, and feel the impulse to do something neat and different. Same thing with the field grade Garands coming from the CMP wearing hackberry. Why not do something that hasnít really been done?

Iíve looked into building these rifles on Sarcoís small ring Mauser receivers instead, but I ran into a couple issues. First, I own an M96, M96/38 and AG42B. Those rifles will not be going anywhere anytime soon, but it does bug me that they donít have rear peep sights, which I have a strong preference for. I looked into mounting rear peeps on them, but using original sights is at least as expensive as having a custom 03A3 barrel turned. Using an M1 Carbine sight would be a possibility, but Iíd still need to have barrels turned since originals donít seem to be readily available. Also, I donít know of anyone thatís making reproduction stocks for small ring Mausers. Original stocks would be much more work to recondition than just getting an 03A3 stock set from Sarco or the CMP.

Having said all that, I do plan to pick up one of the Spanish Mauser actions from Sarco to see what I can do in terms of rear sights. I have a good amount of Swedish parts lying around. That will be fine for a one-off. But to make a few of them, I do think that using 03A3 sporters (with and without scope mounts) or even drill rifles would be less work and probably similar cost.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:42 PM

s11033 - I appreciate your answer.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Hey guys,

A few months ago I posted up to gauge interest in 6.5 Swede conversions for US service rifles. There seemed to be a good amount of interest, but I had to work through another big project, converting a couple dozen stripped Hakim receivers into 6.5x55 Ljungman clones, before I could take on any new endeavors.

Why my fixation with the Swede? I simply believe it's the best classic full-caliber military cartridge there is. Many will disagree, but that's really all I've got to say for myself.

I had initially wanted to order a run of Garand barrels. I quickly confirmed that the Garand clips will not fit 8 rounds of 6.5x55 due to their larger case head. When loading 7 rounds in the clip, the problem seemed to be resolved, but I almost gave myself Garand thumb when I overinserted the partially-filled clip. I have a couple ideas to allow the use of standard clips with 6.5x55, but that project will remain in the works for at least a few months.

I shifted my attention to the M1917 because of the availability of P.17 actions from Sarco and the ample supply of inexpensive sporterized rifles to restore. Although I'm working with someone to try to make reproduction stocks, the lack of wood put the brakes on that project as well.

I had initially overlooked the 03-A3 because it seemed like actions were expensive and hard to come by, but I revisited this model after I put the 1917 on the back burner. There seem to be a good number of fairly inexpensive sporterized 03-A3s out there, a large supply of surplus parts, and most importantly, several sources of decent replacement stocks.

Criterion has a minimum order of 25 barrels for a custom production run, and I'd like to make sure I'm not going to end up with a pile of extremely expensive tomato stakes. Would anyone on the forum have interest in an 03-A3 or 03-A4 build or conversion in 6.5x55? Ideally I'll be able to build the A3s on actions that haven't been drilled, and use the more badly sporterized actions to install A4 scope bases. It would also be an option to sell short-chambered barrels to those equipped to install and properly headspace them, though I think 6.5x55 reamers are probably not very common.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Steve
Finally there's someone else who's as weird as me! I'm definitely interested in a 6.5 Swede A3 barrel. This summer while on pit duty, I was having a conversation with someone about the M1 and how if it would have been chambered in 6.5 Swede it would be perfect.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Quote:
l. I just see a whole lot of 03A3 sporters and drill rifles, and feel the impulse to do something neat and different..
First of all, a 6.5/06 barreled 03A3 would be a hoot to shoot but that hybrid caliber died off decades ago...when I was building a long range precision rifle, I really gave 6.5/06 serious thought but I can't find a chassis maker that offers anything for a 03A3 action. That killed 6.5/06 for me and I went to 6.5 Creedmoor on a short action which all chassis these days are made for...short action means no 6.5 Swede either.

If you are fine with a wood or fiberglass stock , I am sure a build using a 03A3 action will bring one a fine performing rifle with extreme accuracy. No build will have the resale value of the sum of its parts so its a labor of love and a shoe that fits only you...thats okay, most build rifles to serve their needs and want what they build and like it.

I don't see 6.5/06 or 6.5 Swede long range rifles on the 1000 yd line but I am sure, if one were to show up, it would shoot awesome accuracy if the shooter is doing things right. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor but truly I wanted a 6.5/06 or 6.5 Swede and I bet both of those calibers will out perform 6.5 Creedmoor .

This short action craze sure did a lot of damage to some great calibers.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:17 AM

The more I think about it, the best way to get a 6.5 caliber garand might be have it chambered in 260 Remington. The parent case is a 308 so it should converter nicely if you had some like criterion who could make you a barrel, but at that point it would be cheaper ti just buy a 6.5 Creed M1A
Old 11-07-2018, 09:37 AM

Have been reading posts to this thread and will continue to follow it. Have always wanted to do some sort of 6.5 rifle. Just about ideal for my purposes. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
The more I think about it, the best way to get a 6.5 caliber garand might be have it chambered in 260 Remington. The parent case is a 308 so it should converter nicely if you had some like criterion who could make you a barrel, but at that point it would be cheaper ti just buy a 6.5 Creed M1A
Hey,

Yeah, 260 Rem is definitely an attractive option, especially for the Garand. I'm still talking to Criterion to finalize the plan for the chamber, but I'll most likely be getting them rough cut, and then finishing them to order.

The 6.5 Creed M1A is definitely a viable alternative, but with the $650 Field Grades from the CMP to build on, there's no way it would be cheaper. If I'm not mistaken the 6.5 M1As are selling for about $1600, and that doesn't include shipping and transfer like the CMP rifles do. If you want a scoped semi auto, the M1A is probably the way to go. If you plan to shoot iron sights, a 6.5 or 260 Garand build would be hard to beat, and would be $600-$700 cheaper than the M1A.

If you like the Garand idea, check this thread out. That's where I've posted most of my updates related to the M1 side of this project:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=226475

There will be more to come on that thread in the next week or two. I'm doing some testing to modify the bullet guides so that Swedish-spec ammo can be used without any danger of Garand thumb.

Steve

Last edited by s11033; 11-07-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
Have been reading posts to this thread and will continue to follow it. Have always wanted to do some sort of 6.5 rifle. Just about ideal for my purposes. Sincerely. bruce.
Glad to hear! I'll have some updates soon since the Mauser magazine components should be arriving from Numrich in the next couple days. Check out the Garand thread I mentioned above if you're interested in semi autos too.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Hey,

Yeah, 260 Rem is definitely an attractive option, especially for the Garand. I'm still talking to Criterion to finalize the plan for the chamber, but I'll most likely be getting them rough cut, and then finishing them to order.

The 6.5 Creed M1A is definitely a viable alternative, but with the $650 Field Grades from the CMP to build on, there's no way it would be cheaper. If I'm not mistaken the 6.5 M1As are selling for about $1600, and that doesn't include shipping and transfer like the CMP rifles do. If you want a scoped rifle, the M1A is probably the way to go. If you want a neat 6.5 semi auto with good iron sights, a Garand build would be hard to beat, and would be $600-$700 cheaper than the M1A.

If you like the Garand idea, check this thread out. That's where I've posted most of my updates related to the M1 side of this project:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=226475

There will be more to come on that thread in the next week or two. I'm doing some testing to modify the bullet guides so that Swedish-spec ammo can be used without any danger of Garand thumb.

Steve
I will for sure follow this thread. I have some A3 receivers lying around that I have been contemplating a project for. This would be a worthy venture.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:11 AM

Updates!

I spent most of this evening reworking a magazine block that was meant to convert Mausers to short-action calibers. The block was designed to fit at the rear of the magazine, which I don't like because I want these rifles to be able to use stripper clips. My finished block ended up looking almost nothing like the original.

I first cut the block narrower so that it could fit in the front of the magazine and clear the receiver's feed rails. I think it was meant for .308 conversions, so I had to crush it down significantly to allow for an 80mm COAL. I also had to cut it shorter and re-bend it because the bolt was catching on it at its original height. But after many hours of work and one ruined block, I was able to come up with a working prototype!

The magazine block not only serves to take up the extra space in front of the shorter Swedish Mauser follower, but also to help guide the rim of the cartridge under the extractor claw. The 4th round feeding issue is resolved. The rifle now even feeds with the magazine cutoff engaged!

https://imgur.com/a/Vev41Hj

I'm pretty happy with the results overall. I just have to figure out the best way to crank out a few of these in a shorter amount of time. If someone works with sheet metal I'd be happy to place an order for maybe a couple dozen of them.

Steve

Tags
03-a3, 6.5, 6.5x55, conversion, swede