Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2022, 02:37 PM

Default Odd Barrel

Anyone seen a two groove Carbine barrel? I found one at an estate sale. It has a machined gas cylinder and appears to be a Winchester with the flaming bomb on the right side. There is a small Y stamped on the bottom flat about an inch above the shoulder. No other markings at all. I can't see a definite sleeve line like the lines on sleeved Garand barrels. I've never seen a barrel like this before.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:46 PM

Maybe one of those demilled barrels where a cut down 03-A3 barrel was pressed into the cylinder. Was common to see those on 1960's and 1970's commercial carbines.

GuapoPogi
Old 08-06-2022, 02:47 PM

Agree likely a 1903a3 barrel that was inserted into a carbine barrel. Page down on the link below.
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord.html
Old 08-06-2022, 05:27 PM

I would agree with the two above posters. I beg to ask a question at this point, (since the topic of sleeved barrels is so rarely discussed here), does anybody know of, or have any factual information regarding the integrity of these 1960's era sleeved barrels? Have any ever been known to separate, or "blow up" to anyone's knowledge? I've not read, seen, or heard of any of these barrels malfunctioning during my entire lifetime. The particular one that I own (for a Garand) exhibits such excellent workmanship, that the splice is practically undetectable. FWIW, when I pointed that characteristic out while showing it to a respected gunsmith in these parts, he looked it over really well and said that he would not hesitate to use it. I'm inclined to agree with him. Can anyone that has first hand experience with these barrels persuade me otherwise? PM's or Emaills would be welcome. TIA!
Old 08-07-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandpa View Post
I would agree with the two above posters. I beg to ask a question at this point, (since the topic of sleeved barrels is so rarely discussed here), does anybody know of, or have any factual information regarding the integrity of these 1960's era sleeved barrels? Have any ever been known to separate, or "blow up" to anyone's knowledge? I've not read, seen, or heard of any of these barrels malfunctioning during my entire lifetime. The particular one that I own (for a Garand) exhibits such excellent workmanship, that the splice is practically undetectable. FWIW, when I pointed that characteristic out while showing it to a respected gunsmith in these parts, he looked it over really well and said that he would not hesitate to use it. I'm inclined to agree with him. Can anyone that has first hand experience with these barrels persuade me otherwise? PM's or Emaills would be welcome. TIA!

I have a similar carbine barrel. I have shot mine and it’s more accurate than some of my usgi barrels. Any careful gunsmith would say don’t shoot it. Barrel is unlikely to fail.
Your weapon/your face/your decision.

R/s, Hiller…………
Old 08-07-2022, 07:28 PM

I had one on an early EFM carbine and had no problems with the barrel. I had a few problems with the carbine but again none with the barrel. I sold the carbine years ago though.

GuapoPogi
Old 08-08-2022, 08:22 AM

I had a weird barrel that had a 1903 muzzle end sleeved to a M1 carbine breech end ( Inland ). I was stumped at first as there was no marking near the front sight? The rear sight was adjusted all the way to the left to attain a zero at 100yds. I put a type 3 barrel band on after I got a bayonet and the bayonet would not lock in place! It was then I learned about these "chimera" barrel. I replace it with a new criterion barrel from CMP as I am a shooter.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:02 PM

DCM sold 2 groove barrels for $.98 each in the 1960's. Easy job for a shop to build a decent carbine barrel out of scrap piles. Only source for the barrel back then.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:03 AM

I know of one smith who built the same thing for 1911 barrels back in the 60s. He used a good barrel blank and turned down the rear end and silver soldered them to the rear end of a milled out standard 1911 barrel. They shot great. It's so much easier today with all the drop in choices we have.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:21 AM

Kind of late to this discussion.
I have a Fed Ord carbine with a 2 groove barrel. You can see where the barrel joint is.
It shoots OK just not as well as my surplus Inland. Odd thing is it would throw bullets sideways with German surplus ammo. Shoots OK with all else.