Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2022, 10:35 PM

The hole at the bottom of receiver was probably deformed by someone using the wrong size punch. Using the proper size bit (3/32) you should be able to drill out this deformity up to the roll pin (you should be able to feel the roll pin when the bit hits it, stop drilling). Then using a roll pin punch drive out the pin bottom up. The receiver is hard but not hard enough for a “good” bit to drill out the deformity. Take your time drilling, use light pressure, and plenty of oil.
Good luck. 😎

Last edited by New One; 08-09-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:08 AM

I going to speculate that you encountered the end of the pin flush with the inside of the receiver, hence the inability to put even a 1/16" punch in. I believe the pin standard size was 3/32'x9/16" but I would not be surprised that a 5/8" pin length was used, as you can get those at the local hardware store.
If that is indeed the case, perhaps, if you have a long enough bit, you could drill out the center of the pin from the underside enough to get a pin punch in to finish the removal.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:39 AM

As Art said shear it off. Or maybe the pin is flush and you are seeing the ID hole. You could try driving the pin in further and see if it comes through.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:44 PM

All, thanks for your help!!! I ended up shearing it off, worked great!!!

My current issue is I bought a Fulton Armory Scope mount, and it is NOT straight! can't even get on paper at 50yds. It is pointed DOWN and RIGHT no matter what I do. bought at Camp Perry last weekend . I just sent Fulton an email, will see what they say!
Old 08-14-2022, 06:27 PM

Sorry to hear that. Have seen SAI receivers along with one barstock receiver maker that were out of whack to the point that they needed a Sadlak mount which can cover a multitude of goofy receiver problems.
RVN 67-68