Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2022, 11:44 PM

Default Data input difficulty

Second attempt with your software this totally turned me off. When adding new firearm the drop down menus are not user friendly. I would prefer option for manual data entry or auto fill with option to add to a menu. In particular the serial # field. Many field for me will have no repeated data so the option to directly type the data would be great. Hopefully I am missing something and this is available.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:22 AM

Default I understand your data input difficulty

Thanks for trying the software. I wish I could customize it completely for each individual user but some things just have to be standard across all users and across all platforms.

Were you able to use the "+" button to the right of the drop down to add your new value? It is one click more than directly entering a new value in the field itself. After clicking the "+" button you enter your new value and hit return to save the new value to the drop down list.

Other than having to click the "+" button to add a new value, this is pretty much what you would most-likely do if you had entered a new value directly in the field itself. After that you would most-likely click or tab to the next field that you would add a value to. This is most-likely some additional clicks to get to the next field you want to enter but should not be too overwhelming.

Sorry I cannot make it better for you. Hopefully this is not a show-stopper for you (or others).

Sincerely,

Last edited by nmCollector; 04-27-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the response in general I have never understood the drop down menu expecially for fields that will always have unique data. I was hoping there was a easy way to allow direct data entry or ability to type for auto fill options. I know this is not unique to your software everyone uses a drop down menu. Even for say 9mm you need to scroll a fair ways down in stead of just typing 9mm or for state fields the poor guy in Wyoming needs to scroll to to the bottom in stead fo typing 2 letters. It is not a deal breaker I am just use to tabbing through fields and typing data and was hoping I was missing something and could change the drop down to direct data entry.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:18 AM

Default Not ureasonable

What you are asking for is not unreasonable. In fact, that is how I programmed NM Collector JE to work. Unfortunately, I could not replicate that approach with common code across all platforms. Since my most important objective with NM Collector CP is for it to behave the same (or at least as close to the same as possible) across all platforms, while at the same time not having to write different code for each platform, the current approach is a limitation (at least for now).

One thing I might be able to do is figure out how to scroll through the drop down list if you type (sort of an autocomplete substitute). I do not know if that is possible across all platforms but I will certainly look into it for a future release.