HK P7 - any reason why it's not on the list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LazyEngineer
    • Jan 2011

HK P7 - any reason why it's not on the list?

I hear good things about them.
  • CDRT
    • Oct 2009

I shot one of these a long time ago. The cocking lever feature is a pain. At 50 feet it kept the rounds on paper, but that's about it. And for the price tag, you could buy 2 or 3 Springfield Range Officers.

There are over 100 pistols on the list the CMP generated; lots of choices but the HK P7 should not be one of them.
    Navy Vet, Distinguished Pistol

Comment

• ebeeby
      • Sep 2012

There is definitely a learning curve in shooting the P7. Once that is accomplished, they are tack drivers.

Comment

• Gewehr43
        • Nov 2009

I've shot one alot...... great pistol!
        It does have some unique qualities though...........

CDRT: The lever is cammed. Once cocked you can release your grip to a "normal" one and shoot very accurately.

OP: My guess is they picked the most common pistols to look at. That said, it does have a short barrel and sight radius......... it might be a challenge at 50yds.
        Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Comment

• Gewehr43
          • Nov 2009

Lazy:

Shoot yours and give us a test/evaluation .................!!

Comment

• CDRT
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Gewehr43 View Post
            That said, it does have a short barrel and sight radius......... it might be a challenge at 50yds.
            My point exactly, even though I did not fully explain. A short barreled 9mm is not going to fair well at 50 yards.

There are lots of pistols on the list. Some will do well and some will do poorly. I would be one happy camper, if I were chasing leg points and showed up at a match where everyone else was shooting a P7 and I had my 1911 or M9.

I don't think the OP has one; it was more of a why is it not on the list. As a match director, my feeling is, they have enough on the list now, that we need to keep track of when weighing triggers, etc.

Comment

• Gewehr43
              • Nov 2009

My comments were hoping to get the OP out shooting is all.......
              Instead of talking about shooting............GO Shoot!

Speaking of that.............. next time I'm pistol target shooting, I should give my P7 a try......................

Comment

• CDRT
                • Oct 2009

My big concern is, that guys are handicapping themselves from the start by choosing a pistol that will probably not do well on the 50 yard line.

There are two main hurdles they need to overcome to do well on the National Match course.

The first is the cut at 250 to even get points.

The second is the 50 yard slow fire. To get to 250, you need to break or get close to 90 on the slow fire. If you can't do that, you will probably not do well on the timed and rapid stages.

The CMP (and I know why they added all the pistols) really did a disservice to new shooters, who do not regularly shoot Bullseye matches, by giving them way too many choices for an EIC pistol.
                Last edited by CDRT; 01-14-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Ham_Chu
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by CDRT View Post
                  My point exactly, even though I did not fully explain. A short barreled 9mm is not going to fair well at 50 yards.

Short barrel, but fixed; part of the frame. Always made it the most accurate pistol I have owned (w/o ever owning a match-conditioned pistol). Trigger is great, too.

Now, I HAFTA try this at 50yds!

EDIT: This was the pistol issues to NJ (State?) Police for many years...so I can see the justification....every other service pistol made the list.

Comment

• bpm32
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Ham_Chu View Post
                    Short barrel, but fixed; part of the frame. Always made it the most accurate pistol I have owned (w/o ever owning a match-conditioned pistol). Trigger is great, too.

Now, I HAFTA try this at 50yds!

EDIT: This was the pistol issues to NJ (State?) Police for many years...so I can see the justification....every other service pistol made the list.
                    By all means, ask the CMP and they will probably add it to the list next year. That's how the other ones got on here.

Comment

• CDRT
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by bpm32 View Post
                      By all means, ask the CMP and they will probably add it to the list next year. That's how the other ones got on here.
                      No, that is not how they got there. The CMP committee went through a gun catalog and picked what they thought would be available. The original list included revolvers, but they correctly eliminated them before the final list was published. Only one pistol has been added to the list since then.

The original reasoning on this was to add a bunch of guns to the list that people might own, so they could shoot the EIC match, without spending any money on a pistol that would specifically be eligible for the match. It had nothing to do with how well they might shoot.

Comment

• bpm32
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by CDRT View Post
                        No, that is not how they got there. The CMP committee went through a gun catalog and picked what they thought would be available. The original list included revolvers, but they correctly eliminated them before the final list was published. Only one pistol has been added to the list since then.

The original reasoning on this was to add a bunch of guns to the list that people might own, so they could shoot the EIC match, without spending any money on a pistol that would specifically be eligible for the match. It had nothing to do with how well they might shoot.
                        Wait, you mean the CMP made a bunch of rules nobody wanted or asked for???!!! I'm shocked!!!

Comment

• CDRT
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by bpm32 View Post
                          Wait, you mean the CMP made a bunch of rules nobody wanted or asked for???!!! I'm shocked!!!
                          Good one.

Comment

• Ham_Chu
                            • Jan 2013

OK, I'll bite....

Why no revolvers?

Unfair? no one has them? reload time? something else?

....Just picturing that 88 Magnum on the firing line.......

Comment

• CDRT
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Ham_Chu View Post
                              OK, I'll bite....

Why no revolvers?
                              Unfair? no one has them? reload time? something else?
                              ....Just picturing that 88 Magnum on the firing line.......
                              It's a Service Pistol match, not an any gun match.
                              The Rules Committee basically ignored all the input from those of us who sent something in, except the fact that revolvers are not really a Service Pistol in the true sense of what the match is about.

Also, the revolvers on the list, did not make any sense, since they specifically omitted the one revolver that would have a chance; the S&W Model 25 in .45 ACP, since it has a 6 1/2" barrel and they limited revolver to 6" barrels.

In addition, there already is a EIC type revolver match out there; the NRA's Distinguished Revolver match, so adding revolvers to the EIC would have been redundant.

Comment

Working...
                              X